1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

easy bass lines that sounds complex

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 12, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Aeroplane is not easy, nor is Around the World. They do sound complex though.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Around the World is pretty easy with practice (I learned it 2nd or 3rd month of playing), but of course everything gets easier with practice. Never heard Aeroplane so I can't comment.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I also can play Around the World. Ya know, anyone can learn anything with practice- I think the point of this thread (was) is to post songs that can be played perfectly right off the bat.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I'm really with Joe on this one. I get sick of people posting on these easy threads with stuff like, "Oh, sure, Classical Thump sounds hard, but I learned to play it, now it's easy. Oh and Jaco's version of Donna Lee is way too easy, even for a beginner."

A riff that's kinda tricky, but really fun to play (and sounds complex) is 96 Quite Bitter Beings by CKY. It's funny, because what reminded me of that was some kid was in the guitar store playing that on bass over and over and over at about half speed, and not in time. But I swear, it's not that hard. Your fingers get to move quite a bit.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't think I could ever consider Classical Thump or Donna Lee to be easy. They are the epitomy of difficult playing in my opinion. I have never heard something that actually had melody and development that is more difficult than those examples. I have heard solos with more notes but less feeling.

I can only play the intro to Classical Thump and that took a four or five attempts to get correct.

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I agree on that song- I also just think that it is a gnarly song to play. More songs that could sound impressive to people would be anything that has slapping of any kind, chord strumming of any kind, or emo of any kind.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Another simple one, the only riff I can play to impress death metal friends, that groovin' little breakdown during hammer smashed face by Cannibal Corpse.

Wana now, nah nah now, bumpa dow dan nat now.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Cake's "The Distance". I always thought it sounded complicated, but once you break it down, its a very simple bass line. Very effective though.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... in fact. A lot of Cake is like that... a whole lot of Cake.

MMmmMmm cake.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The best one I can think of:

Watermelon Man (Headhunters Version) - Herbie Hancock

Whoever said the Chicken is wrong. That's a complex bass line that sounds simple, silly person. Can I join the fighting too?

11. Queen - Another One Bites The Dust.

Chromatic Fantasy

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The only time that I have heard that song was wrong Wrong Robot posted a video of him playing it and it looked pretty darn difficult. :confused:

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, sorry, he just forgot to throw in one of these ;) or maybe :smug:

14. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Actually, I am with him on this one. Chromatic Fantasy may look difficult at first, but look at the sheet music and you will see that it is just 32nd and 16th notes non stop. Nothing hard about that.

Oh yes, and I am going to add "What is Hip?" by good ol' ToP.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A night in Tunisia

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Have you heard Vic's version? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

17. It's can't even touch "Damnit"...

18. god i just played that for a high school jazz concert and messed up the intro because i was nervous. I despise that song right now lol.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Ha ha. wuss.

I kid, i kid...

I get into arguements with one of the jazz teachers at my school... he says it is "da da da DUT dah..." but i say it is " da da da duuh da"

and according to my music, i am correct... maybe he has a different score or something....

20. ill get it right one of these days. Whats the best way to overcome nervousness while playing? I just dont get why i can play it perfectly before a show and then as soon as the show starts i mess up?