1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

easy bass lines that sounds complex

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 12, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Kiss", by Prince.

(And I definitely wouldn't call "What is Hip?" an easy song).

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Wonka was using sarcasm. Wonka can barely play that song.

3. If we're talking about non-bassists then anything involving slap and pop works and you don't get much easier than Fieldy! To anyone who knows anything about bass, there ain't nothing hard about it but the general public don't seem to have caught on to that. In the same line, "Carousel" by Blink 182 is thought to be hard as well...I still haven't figured why.

"Rearranged" by Limp Bizkit has a nice catchy bassline...sounds half decent and is very easy.

[k]

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No Rain by Blind Melon

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oompa, oompa, oompa-de-do
    I've got another story for you.
    Oompa, oompa, oompa-de-dee
    If you are wise, you'll listen to me.

What do you get when the notes are all, wrong?
    Trying to play an easy, song.
    You want to sound hard for others around,
    But you should know that's not, the, sound,
    The groove is all that matters.

Oompa, oompa, oompa-de-dah
    If you practice scales then you will go far,
    Like the oompa, oompa de do
    Playing what you hear is what we tell you.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    ...wow.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Strange. That's exactly what I was thinking.

8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You guys are odd.

9. Oh that Wonka...anyways...how about So What? :) simple and recognizable...if thats what youre going for...and to appease this man you can always throw in your own amazing modal 32-bar to further impress ;)

10. "September" - Earth Wind & Fire - if you know your "boxes" then it's a breeze to play.

Also, "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, the A section at least. The B section is kinda tricky though.

11. awaranowski

awaranowski

May 10, 2004
    Red Hot Chili Peppers. Right on time. Really simple and really cool sounding if you're precise.

12. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    another RHCP tune that is easy but has impressed the dolts in the audience: "Jungle Man"

13. Intro to sinister minister (flecktones), the root/pop octave/pop part, search for it, very fun, sounds good, easy.

14. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    The Pink Panther song

15. I agree with Aeroplane, always thought it sounded but I never bothered to work it out, checked out a tab and had it easy, good slap line for a bit of improv' in the last bar, been playing Californication on my 6 string fretless (that line was written for fretless) and that impresses me! :)
    If we're talking about just playing the notes and playing in time, anythings going to become simple(r) the more you practice it, even the most complex line, you just got to get you're head round it and stick at it, the bit that ain't so easy is getting it to feel right, a good example is the Chicken, I can play what bits of it I know as can many others, but getting it to sound like THE Chicken is where the holy grail lies!

T.

16. Schism from tool is easy and sounds pretty cool. Not my favorite song but ok...

also,
    Hendrix - Machine gun
    Cream - Sunshine of your love

17. Come on, Come over from Jaco isn't exactly hard. It's a little fast, but get your fingers going and it's pretty cool sounding.

18. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    "and the same" by fugazi. It consists entirely of open E followed by open A and still works wonders for the tune. Proof that less is more and Joe Lally is the man. :bassist:

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Really. I think it is.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, it depends on if you want to play it "right" or not. :smug: