1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

easy bass lines that sounds complex

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 12, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Schism by Tool...

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Alot of people are throwing things around like Aeroplane and Classical Thump, saying they're easy for them. And they might be, but I think a majority are saying this don't realize they're not playing it right. I learned Aeroplane about a year after I started playing bass, even played it in a band and I thought I was awesome. People would come up to me and say how awesome I was and all. Except about 6 months ago I was playing my bass and Aeroplane came on and I realized that I was playing it completely wrong. I still don't have it down perfect.

Same with Classical Thump. I, and probably many other, have that beginning part down, it's pretty simple, but when it starts picking up? I'd be very impressed to hear some mp3s of you guys pulling that whole song off.

3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Or "Mellowship Slinky in B". It's just a broken descending B7/10 chord starting at 10.

Love that line.

4. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    DMV isnt that hard if you know how to tap which doesnt take very long....DMV sounds hard but once you play it its's you just have to practice it....it sounds incredible though.. :cool:

BEn :bassist:

5. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Don't know if it's been said yet, but the Beverly Hills Cop theme

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

That's how most of Claypool's stuff is. Once you figure it out, it's easy. Love the man though. :bassist:

7. lull&smooth

lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    the doors-waiting for the sun

8. I love that song...and yeah most doors base lines are arpeggios done very well (on keyboard bass) and work so well (although very simple). Just the intro and verse+solo lines to Light My Fire is all triads but sounds great and has movement.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I used to know that one. Definitely gets you some looks in a music store.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Day Tripper

11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I thought Flea didn't know any theory?

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Bill Wither's lovely day has a nice feel to it. Goes down well with yer nan too :D

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm sure he discovered it by accident then. :smug:

14. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    A lot of Rancid's stuff's kinda easy. It's good for improving. I suggest Journey to the End of the East Bay. I learned that with about 3/4 year playing bass. An even better suggestion is any Zeppelin stuff. John Paul Jones is good but if you work at it, you'll eventually get it.

Good luck.

Kyle

15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Thanks, man.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Whooo, MONEY! :hyper:

17. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Pyscho Killer and Take me to the River by Talking heads

18. crystal tokyo

crystal tokyo

Jun 11, 2004
    lol, I'm not sure if you knew, but Flea's actually a musical genious. He played trumpet before bass. Really well, may I add.

19. Excellent choices. These songs sound so cool because the lines are uncluttered..instead of machine-gun 64th notes or sick slapping, just a good groove played with lots of feel.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

BuuuuuUUuuUuUut, in his "instructional" video he tells River Phoneix he doesn't know a damn thing about theroy.