1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

easy bass lines that sounds complex

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 12, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

You got me good...

2. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I had an argument with 3 guys last night. We watched a Vic DVD at a party, and then someone says... "Man he's got talent, but he is no Flea".

I don't really have to say what happened next because many of you have probably been in the same situation. I just said that Flea is a good bassist, but there are a lot of guys out there who are better... then they started with bla bla you dont need theory bla bla jimi hendrix bla bla.... by the way, did jimi know theory?

3. Somewhat as he played session stuff..couldnt read music..but he was very much aware of many musical styles and learned by feel and experience of blues and many other types and sounds. You have to know some to be able to play blues at all...

4. Le Freak - Chic..now my favourite song to play :smug:
    He's the Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge (did i mention Bernard Edwards is my fav funk bassist?)
    Hair - GCS..souds hard....real easy
    Right On Time - RHCP....Havent heard anyone play the chorus right except for flea
    Black Ice - Stu Hamm...i dont think this song is really playable, well it would be harder on a non-kubicki :smug:

As for the whole flea thing.....not many people can do what he does, people can do better, but who cares, they mainly play jazz or something, they cant groove or funk like flea and flea cant be as jazzy as them...but what makes flea great is that he's more well known to muso's and non musos than people like wooten, jaco, stanley clarke, stu hamm, billy sheehan, jpj, larry graham, marcus miller...he might not do as trippy show off stuff which only really other basissts and lovers of the genre can apprecite but he is more widely known and he's a great player, which i think is better than being a freak player and not well known....my 2c

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Well, it kind of depends on who you ask... most teens don't listen to Jazz or Funk, so they don't know who those cats are. However, RHCP has platinum (assuming) records that my generation is familiar with.

Also, I know it is just your opinion, but I would rather do something great with my instrument that could tear at people's hearts and really strike up some powerful emotions (is that what a freak player is?) than be a well known bass player who says that the Pentatonic scale is full of cosmic energy... my 3 cents...

There is a lot more I want to say, but I am in hot water with a couple of people already... :ninja:

6. Im always in hot water,.......especially the p-bass subject, but ill leave that out :p..but your right about most teens not listening to jazz and blues..but i was brought up on abba, david bowie, simon and garfunkle, SRV, acdc, u2, led zeppelin, soudgarden, cream, nirvana the list goes on...its only in the last 18months ive started to get into more stevie wonder, charles mingus, satriani, vai, bootsy, ratm, george benson, erykah badu and so forth...but really if i went to a random person at my school and asked them who stanley clarke or les claypool was they'd go "who is that?" and if i asked them who flea was theyd know who he was...but i respect any musician who does what they want.....but i just hate musicians who think that there is a certain best musicain, there will be better but no best, no-one can replace flea, just like led zep didnt bother replacing bonham...

But everyone likes the chili peppers, that's better better than having a small select audience..IMO

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't. I have heard most of their cd's and not just Californication and By the Way. I own One Hot Minute and I do not care for most of it. Way to many root-octave slap lines.

Make my funk the Pfunk anyday. :bassist:

8. so abark you can honestly say that Blood Sugar Sex Magic is a bad album? have you heard mothers milk, freaky styley, uplift mofo party plan or out in la?.....

and you're basing your hate for the chili peppers on the root-ocatve slap lines?...geez, what's doctor funkenstein? may not be slap but their's some octaving there, and what about the hotel california bass line? thats mostly root-5th-8va.......plus aeroplane is one of my fav bass lines, along with le freak and good times by chic.....but californiacation has barely any slapping...about 2 songs have the bridge part with slap

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I told you that I have heard the majority of their albums. I know I have heard Blood Sugar Sex Magic, didn't care for it sorry.

I just can't get into Antony Kiedis' vocals and Flea's style, not just his root-octave slapping. I don't knock people who do, but they are not my cup of tea.

Also, I don't really like the Eagles either, maybe the first million times I heard all their songs. My dad owns a Eagles Best of cd and it is the only thing he will listen to when working on a project in the garage.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm lets see... Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea Victor Wooten or Flea ... I can't decided. !??!?!?!?!?!...

:eyebrow:

11. neither, meshell ndegeochello, stu hamm and bernard edwards, not to mention bootsy, he's just a given :smug: ...but i dont like wooten :bag:

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Fixed it.... and I think I have a decision....

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know... I think we'd better start a thread about it in the Bassists section: Victor Wooten Vs. Flea. It will be the feel good thread of the century!

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

it's dut

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    flea played a trumpet solo for like 10 minutes when i saw the chilis 2 weeks ago.

it must have been running through some crazy kind of phaser, it sounded bloody fantastic!

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I could probably do the same thing. I have played trumpet before, and while I am no pro, I think I could blow some random notes and arpeggios through a phaser.

17. umberto

umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    Wot by Captain Sensible.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hehe, bloody... you brits and your funny words. :p :bag:

19. Big Red Fish

Big Red Fish

Jun 30, 2004
    Most things by Rage Against The Machine ;)

20. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I wonder... if I moved to England, how long would it take me to start saying bloody? Not long methinks.