1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

easy bass lines that sounds complex

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The great debate rages on. Here's my take on it. (try to stay with me here...) I like vanilla ice cream. I don't like chocolate so much, but I know that a lot of people do. I can dig a little strawberry now and then, but I prefer vanilla. I dare say that vanilla ice cream is my favorite. I am fully aware that ice cream comes in literally hundreds of flavors, and you can add any number of toppings such as nuts whipped cream, nuts, little sprinkly things - but IMO, the more you add - the less good the ice cream is. I'd much prefer my somple vanilla ice cream. Some people would disagree with me due to there personal tastes - but that doesn't make me wrong. It's my opinion. Vic may have more flash than Flea - more knowledge - more musical range - more technical proficiency - but all of that doesn't make him better IMO - I still, I prefer Flea. ...and now I'm hungry for ice cream.

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Well, you have quoted Pink Floyd in your location- well done.

3. Stuff Flea, Stuff Wooten.........
    BRING ON LARRY GRAHAM...then Rhonda Smith...jaw dropping in more ways than one :D :smug:

4. My favorite is "I Burn For You" (an old Sting number). Pretty nice bass line and you can stay in first position for the whole song.

5. tommy the cat..real easy that one..as well as 99% of primus songs

6. i think the intro to Aerosmith's "sweet emotion" is actually pretty easy once you find out that it is all part of the minor blues scale.

Charlie

7. You are absolutely insane

8. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its a dotted 8th, dude... its a duuh.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

And is A) Lying for the sake of humor B) Lying to seem badass.

10. what? les's lines are compentantly simple, i have more trouble playing a song like marvin gayes whats going on...les's style is so loose and all over the place...of course les is good, but some steve vai lines are more complex than that, as demonstrated by billy sheehan monday night

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

First of all, that line is pretty difficult any way you look at it and second, he is singing and playing. If it is so simple for you, I would be interested in hearing clips of you singing and playing it.

12. well i spose that makes it a bit simpler, the fact that i cant sing and wont :p

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's true that 90% of Claypool's riffs sound trickier than they are, but overall they are more complex than the average bassline.

14. Perceptions

Perceptions

Oct 2, 2007
    STOP WORRYING ABOUT HOW HARD or COMPLEX MUSIC IS!
    The majority of the public audience is made of non-musicians. Consider instead just who you want to impress, if anyone. Do you really need to impress anyone but yourself?
    “Music does not have to be complex (musicians may be complex).”

STOP ARGUING ABOUT MUSIC THEORY!
    Formal music theory is just a way to communicate observations about music. Imagination brings musicians music; theorists write about it AFTERWARDS!!!

Knowing lots of theory doesn’t mean you play great; playing great doesn’t mean you know a lot of theory. Pat Metheny says he wants his bass players to be totally knowledgeable about bebop jazz theory, but not to play a NOTE of it.

Plenty of jazz bass lines are really simple. A majority of beautiful music is breathtaking in its…simplicity. “Genre” has no bearing on complexity.

Stop generalizing. Stop classifying. In fact, stop thinking. Just play.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You created a new account, just so you could spam a post thats been dead for THREE YEARS?!?!?!?!

Pffft.... :scowl:

16. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Huh? Name recognition does not translate into "greatness". Just because a lot of "non-musos" know who Flea is does not make him great.

17. *looks up tab for Beverley Hills Cop*

*finds theme tunes section on Bassmasta*

*locks self in study* :hyper: :bassist:

18. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    In A Gadda Da Vida.

I'd appreciate it if you got the name correct.

19. Got_Bass

Got_Bass

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    A few from my personal tab notebook:

Cinnamon Girl.

Dont' Eat The Yellow Snow.

Pink Panther.

Also...takes a few days to get down but 'All My Loving' by The Beatles is a great walking base line and worth learning.

20. Got_Bass

Got_Bass

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    That's how you say it when you're drunk...at least that's the story behind the title, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. :eyebrow: