1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy Blues Songs for Newbies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by suedehead, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Heyaaaa am listening to and really lovin the blues. After sum advice on good easy blues songs to learn as a newbie. Am playin around alot with 1st 4th and 5th chord s at the mo. Love JL ee Hooker, Albert Collins, T bone Walker, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon.
    Any more recent artists would love to hear what songs i should checkout thats easy. Many Thanx.

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Isn't there only one blues song that's been covered a million, zillion times?

Recent stuff, you say? Maybe try Kenny Wayne Shepard. There's another guy but his name escapes me at the moment. But the oldies are the goodies.

Don't forget good old Zeppelin! You Shook Me - Lemon Song - Bring it on Home - How Many More Times.... JPJ has blues bass licks for days! The Lemon Song alone has enough bass licks to keep one busy for an entire career.

3. davrip

davrip

Jun 30, 2012
    Too many to list, but if you like "Da Blooze" you have to get Ed Friedland's
    book "Blues Bass".

I can't recommend it too highly, as it contains essential techniques, blues
    classic songs, and really good jamming tracks.

(Well, I will list a few of my favourites). Otis Rush, all 3 Kings, Buddy Guy, Clapton with the Bluesbreakers, SRV, Johnny Winter, Peter Green and on
    and on.

And for a real treat, checkout Dr Feelgood for some UK live blues. There
    are some great live videos on Youtube and look out for Wilko Johnson
    on guitar.

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Pick a band and follow the discography trail from first release,
    The Fabulous Thunderbird have a great one.
    For newer bands you won 't find finer than, Kilborn Alley Blues Band, out of Chicago, or the works of British Stars, Ian Siegal, 24 Pesos, The Motives ft. Matt Taylor, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Danni Wilde, Cherry Lee Mewis.....lots of young UK blues bands doing great just now,
    Also checkout The Hoax, The Red Devils, Jim Suhler, SRV, Hamilton Loomis, actually the list to listen to is looooooooong, but the fun is searching ot out and finding what you like.

5. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    I'd second that. While the 'book' is advertised as a 'supplement' to any bass method it really stands on it's own quite well.

6. A couple I have really been getting into recently: Joe Bonamassa & Albert Cummings

There's a ton of other good stuff out there. I'm headed to check out some of the ones others have mentioned.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    The Thrill Is Gone-- BB King Classic
    Robben Ford does a lot of Blues

8. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    That's what I was gonna say!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Blues is really easy ... 3 chords

Blues is also really hard ... getting the feeling into those 3 chords.

10. plainman

plainman

Apr 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    You might try playing around with "Stormy Monday" and "Blues at Sunrise" on the "In Session" album with Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan. They are fairly slow and long and are straight 12-bar, so you have lots of opportunity to experiment. (Update: I just listened to them both to make sure I was right about the straight 12-bar, and they are, but they both feature a quick 4 where instead of the first four bars being 1-1-1-1, they are 1-4-1-1.)

11. Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
    Killing Floor - Howlin' Wolf
    Scumbag Blues - Them Crooked Vultures (really fun to play:)