1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy but cool bass solo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I'm looking for a cool bass solo but not very hard. I really don't know how to do harmonics. I am starting with slap and popping so something funky would be nice. Can someone help me?

2. dude, harmonics are pile drivingly easy. Just hold your finger on the string, but don't push down on the string. BAM! Harmonic.

Never limit yourself, dude.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Make sure you hold it over the fret.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    John Myung does some cool harmonics stuff, but unless you have a 6 string, I think you're gonna be out of luck.

Check out the songs by Dream Theater "As I Am" and "Lifting Shadows Off a Dream."

5. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    The bass solo in Aeroplane by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is relatively easy. It's not slap but it's very funky.

6. The bass solo in Aeroplane is cool but I was looking for something more difficult.

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    +1

Beat me to it.

Or try the bass solo in RHCP's 'Coffee Shop'

8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Serious, what's up with all these songs with bass solo's?

Why not just come up with your own solo? Be a little creative...

but of course, Dance of eternity - Dream theater

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just to spite Vorago I suggest Classical Thump as an easy but cool bass solo. :smug:

bc

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Please Do Not Go by the Violent Femmes. No pop or slap, but a cool little solo that's not too terribly difficult. The recorded version is obviously a acoustic bass guitar, but it works well on an electric.

11. I believe the song is called "Broken Hearts" by Living Colour. Melvyn Gibbs does a wonderfully melodic solo on this track and it is not too hard to learn. I sure liked playing it 'back in the day'!

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Wasn't that Muzz Skillings? Good solo, not too hard.

I might learn that tonight!

13. You may be right about that... for some reason, Melvyn was at the top of my mind... :rolleyes: Oh, well... good solo anyhow!

14. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    more melodic, and not too funky, but one of my faves was the solo in Kindergarten, by Faith No More. Learned that tune for a band audition and I've really dug that little bass bit ever since.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    A lot of infectious grooves has some cool solos, maybe try 'please excuse this funk up'? My personal favorite.

16. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Not necessarily. You can get some really good harmonics around the 2/3rd frets. Some day I'll learn what they all are...

17. "Bassically", the intro to NIB on the first Black Sabbath album. A bit too memorize but very groovy.

18. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I started out on Metallica's - Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) its a good one..

19. i know it's not funky, but its great.
    my generation - The Who

or why not the one in fireball with deep purple
    it's a little odd but its rocknroll!

maybe not what you're looking for..

20. Incubus - Battlestar Schralactica.

it is lots of fun to play.

Also, magic medicine(incubus) is easy and sounds good.

or even better, get a pedal with a drum function and funk around to it by yourself. after hours of fun you will find a line that you like.