1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy, cheap and interesting looking NEO mod on a SX jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InternetAlias, May 30, 2018.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    So I have been interested in neo magnet mods for a while now, and I found some very cheap neo magnets in Serbia (where I live) so I decided to buy them. Basically, I bought a bunch of N50 10mm x 1mm magnets to make pole pieces for my jazz, and ended up using one magnet per pole piece.

So what I did was take the pickups out of my SX, put masking tape on the bobbin, so that pole pieces no longer stick out, then put them back into the pickup cover. Now I just got some reeeeeally strong glue, and glued the neo magnets into place, so that they're properly located over the string. I recon you could do this if you want to use J pickups for a small string spacing bass as well, since you could decide where the pole pieces are.

Anyway, here's the visual result!

33848037_234311740667746_7340016774340935680_n.

IMG_20180530_154525.

I am an idiot so I didn't record proper before/after recordings, but here are my findings:

1) Jesus Christ this bass has tremendous output now, each of those little magnets has 1.3pound/600gr string pull but it is a non issue, instead, it makes the output skyrocket without killing the sustain
    2) Bridge pickup has started sounding way more like the neck pickup, it has waaaaaaay more lows and highs, but the 70s J bridge character still cuts through when you pluck/pick at the bridge, this makes the solo bridge pickup extremely useful without even blending the neck pickup
    3) Neck pickup on SX is wound pretty hot since with those mods the bass gets the P bass character when both pickups are at 100% (in parallel no less)
    4) This bass now clips my Dynacord BS412 preamp at values that were very clean before
    5) The altered frequency response makes it sound massive even with old strings (I attached a sound sample bellow though it was recorded in one take just for demonstration purposes)
    6) I should get some new strings on this bass and record it, the ones on it are 2 years old (but still ring out for some reason, they just have no zing)

That'd be it :D Other mods I did on this bass are "hardware store straplocks" and "I replaced the bridge because it's easier than removing rust from the old one".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Axstar likes this.
  2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I did this to my MIJ Mustang bass. I did it the other way round though. I purchased some neo 'button' magnets, and tacked them onto the back of the pickups. I then epoxied them in place. The pickup looked the same as before, but it had more output!

3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Yeah, that's also an option, I did this mainly because the magnetic field will be stronger this way, and also I like the look of MM-sized pole pieces.