1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Easy fix?...hopefully?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kramsey, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
  2. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    well you can use some strong wood glue to put together a broken headstock, if you can get the glue in there and apply pressure then yes i can be fixed

3. I would take that glue and glue my door shut to keep those clumbsy friends out!

Kidding aside, W33nie is spot on. You can fix.

4. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008

not exactly the same as your problem, but it's something like that

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Man, I would be extremely angry about that...

6. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Take it to a good repairman. It can be fixed.
    There's a guy in Lemoyne, Pa who's an artist at repairs. He's tackled much worse than this... Look up BCR Music online.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're making them pay for the repair, right?

8. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    yeah definitely...hes payin for the repair

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    In that case, get a good luthier to do it right. Don't skimp, so that way your bass can be back to 100%

10. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    yeah i am... im not gonna try to do it myself

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    BTW, I would probably take tension off of the strings. Looks like it's piulling the headstock out of whack.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Leave it in the case next time. No need to show it off around idiot (drunk?) college kids.

13. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    not drunk...but both my basses stay in their cases all the time now...lesson learned :)

14. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Fixing shouldn't be a problem. Several years ago I was replacing the tuners on a early 70s JBass (previous owner had changed out the originals) and just hit the wrong angle when pressing one into place and nearly the same thing happened to it, except it split all the way off and at more of an angle. I got some Tightbond glue and some clamps and glued it back. Worked great and just the least bit noticable if you look hard. Since yours is not a clean split, not sure what method to get glued would be, but once you find it, it will be good as new. As others mentioned, may need to see a pro. :cool:

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

It can easily be fixed for likely $50-100 by a good luthier. Some wood glue and the cracked headstock clamped for a day or so should do it.

+1 on loosening the strings ASAP though.

16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I had a problem like this once. I would remove the tuning pegs and spray a little water on the wood to make it expand a little. Throw in some carpenters glue, wipe excess off with damp cloth, and clamp for a day. Done!

I have repaired a neck this way once a long time ago. Never had any issues.

However if you are not comfortable with doing this take it to a shop.

17. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    Thats the first thing i did :)

but seriously- thanks for your help guys

18. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    +1 for everyone. Assuming that there's still tension on the strings in the photos, that would be a good clue that it's a relatively easy fix. If the tension didn't pull the neck clean apart when it cracked it's a safe bet that the structure is still pretty sound. Good luck!