1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy Iron Maiden basslines?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    DOes Iron Maiden have any real easy basslines that a beginner could do? Please name the song:) TY in adv^^

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Aces High with a pick wasn't too bad.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's cheating! :D ;)

"Wrathchild" isn't much difficult IMO.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Stranger world, rime of the ancient mariner, remember tomorrow, wrathchild.

5. The beginning to "Run to the Hills". The rest of it is easy if you can run with 3 fingers to get that galloping sound, which makes the song IMO.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yeah I know, but I had to sing the high harmony too. ;)

7. Remember Tomorrow
    The Trooper is easy for the fretting hand, but can be murder on your plucking hand if you're not used to playing fast.
    Where Eagles Dare
    Revelation

to name a few.

8. The Trooper, Losfer Words, Wrath Child, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner <== all of these are not too bad but...

It all depends on how comfy you are with emulating Mr. Harris' triplets and other quick parts. Once you get the fingers rolling all of their basslines start to fall into line. The trick is those insanely strong fingers he has... that just takes a lot of practice. I have always found Maiden basslines to be very technically rudimental - or not very challenging, note-wise... they all seem to follow the same general E, C, D, E with lots of 5's and Pentatonic rolls... But they require an Arnold Schwartzenegger-ish finger strength and a serious amount of stamina to pull off well.

9. +5, tZer. Once I built up finger strength and worked on triplets, "The Trooper" became pretty easy.

10. Maiden Warning! - I personally feel that where Iron Maiden is an impressive act unto itself, it is not a band to pattern you bass playing style after. They are very 'nitch' and since they have already cornered the market of 'Viking Rock' there is really not all that much call for triplet-heavy bass players in this world.

Oops - that is way too opinionated... but still, I do feel that lots of time spent getting Maiden under your belt is lots of time lost on getting some really useful techniques together. But this is coming from a reformed 'melodic-heavy-metal' bass player (me) who is bitter about the fact that during his formative years all of his friends wanted to play metal and not the Beatles. :) I felt that if I wanted to be having fun with my guitar and drum playing buds, I had to join them in their Metal Mania... I never personally owned a single metal album (yes, back then they were vinyl).

No offense to you metal-heads out there... this is just my opinion. Feel free to disregard me as a wuss...

11. Children of the Damned
    22 Acacia Ave

12. "Killers" is a nice song

13. Well, metal is up there as one of my favorite music genres, and my hair is long... I'm not only a metalhead, and love learning all the bass I can.

However, I am total agreement. Words can't express the aggravation I feel when kids are like, "you're either metal or you're not!" and limit themselves musically while stigmatizing others. It's a close-minded stance and just furthers the genre's already bad name.

14. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I play maiden with a pick and don't care what any1 thinks!

15. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    A lot of Maiden makes more sense with a pick- In fact Harris admitted he wanted to do his gallop with a pick, but couldn't because he wasn't good enough with one.
    My pick skills are real good and I can play those gallops easily at his speed. (I can also do them with fingers if I want)

16. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I'll get there with my fingers but for now the pick is suffice!

17. Fear of the Dark is a good one too. Even easier is Wasted Years.

18. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    I think that a lot of Maiden's newer music is easier to play. Try these:

Rainmaker
    The Wicker Man
    The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

If you really want to play classic Maiden, try Die With Your Boots On

19. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Same here. Back when I first started playing in the late 80's, I had the book with all of Powerslave and Somewhere in Time transcribed and learned all those songs....with a pick.

If anyone thinks that's easy, I invite them to give it a try, making sure to keep the same feel and staccato-type sound to the note attack like Harris has with his fingers.

20. Usually they say "the trooper" is not too bad! I'm working on "2 minutes to midnight", its taking a little bit of time, buts its a lotta fun! I love it!