Easy(ish) Solos.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 10, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Towards the middle of the year, my music class at school have to do a performance. Since they are so many people that play normal guitar at our school, they all say "Yeah bass is easy, so ill play Bass". That really pi$$es me off. I know bass is unique and all, but it just really gets to me that a person that knows squat about a bass is gonna play it for a group performance.

But enough complaining about that for now. I have decided im going to do a bass solo, and really put them in their place because they all think that bass solos are like 5 or 6 notes.

So what im asking, does anyone know any CLASSICAL bass solos that are popular, but also, a group of 15 year olds wouldnt know. I know the first 45 seconds of Pulling Teeth By Metallica, but i want to learn something
    B)On the easy side (I have been playing for nearly 2 years)
    C)not many people would know.
    Now this might be that hard part. I dont know notation, so i will have to get it from...TAB! Yes guys, im sorry to.

I dont know if im asking too much here, but any help is much appreciated.

PS I have no idea where to put this, so mods, move it where you want.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to General Instruction.

As far as suggestions, you've got time to work on some of the Bach pieces, Cello suites (hard) or some transcriptions of inventions....

but you'll have to read them from Standard Notation.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Kirby, with all due respect, I find it interesting that you want to prove to people that bass should be respected, and is not easy, by playing something easy that you learned by tab. In a way, you are proving that bass can be easy. I think you should work on developing something yourself, or playing the Bach Cello Suites, that take more effort and time. You'll improve your own abilities, and I think people will be able to hear the passion you've put into your own piece.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, I kind of knew I was pushing my luck. Well, if this is the way its going to be, what do you suggest I play then? Where do I find .notation for the Bach Cello Suites you mentioned? Thanks
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I remember a few months back,you said you could play the solo in maxwell murder by rancid,that would be a good one to play.That solo should impress anybody.(please nobody jump on me and say punk is too simple and easy,im sick of it)
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You've GOT to be kidding. Punk is too simple and easy.

8. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Bach pieces are great..I'm learning his Cello Suite #1...It's pretty badass. Let me tell ya...Play them and learn them...it opens up more ideas..it did to me. Piece
  9. There is a very neat, short, intricate piece that isn't too hard on Libby's site: www.libster.com

Just look for the piece called "Fly Rudotch". It's got a lot of the same techniques used in the Bach pieces but is somewhat easier to master and remember. While you're at it, take a look all over Libby's site. It's one of the best instructional sites you'll find.

By the way, "Fly Rudotch" was written on the 5 string but there's only one difficult stretch when performed on the 4. If you know your fretboard, you will get it quickly enough.
  10. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    If you want the Bach one(s) go here:

Scroll to the bottom of the page and theres a whole heap of the Bach Suites.

EDIT: Ok I just tried some of the links and none of the ones I tried worked. But its got some good transcriptions so use it wisely.