Easy Jazz Standards for the utes (and old guy)...?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Shaunpski, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    Yes. That would be easiest if you don't want to transpose.

2. I'll get the Bass Clef.

The vocalist/piano/guitar can get their own.

Besides, knocking out the melody now and then won't kill me!!

3. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    The trombone is also a C instrument. The bass clef version will work fine for upright bass and bass guitar. If you prefer to read bass clef it is probably a good investment. Personally, most of the tunes are relatively simple notation-wise, so I use a treble clef one because I can share it with my bandmates. You do not get suggested bass lines except for tunes that have distinct bass lines, like the intro to Seven Steps to Heaven for instance. If you are wanting bass lines for a bunch of standards you might want to look elsewhere, but I'm not aware of any collection even close to the size of the real book of tunes with bass lines. The Ron Carter bass lines book by Aebersold, and some of the others like Rufus Reid might provide what you want. Essentially just transcriptions of walking lines from the Aebersolds. Those usually include about 8 tunes I think. So not nearly as many. But you will learn some good bass lines and have plenty to study. Your bandmates could purchase the relevant Aebersold to get the melodies.

Shaunpski and Stdjazz4 like this.
  4. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Try "Cantaloupe Island" - that's relatively easy.

5. We got him the Bb version and I'm doing the transposing--for now. It's educational for all of us, so that's good. His instructor is a music major--graduating in a few days--and throwing out some ideas too (Blue Monk is the latest). Thanks for all the good suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  6. Gravy4001

Gravy4001

Jan 9, 2012
    Connecticut
    At Last is pretty straightforward and your daughter can sing it. Blue Monk, Footprints are fairly easy and fun.

Shaunpski likes this.
  7. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    BTW, there are a couple of very nice book/CD packages by Dr. Willie Hill, titled "Approaching Standards". An excellent amalgamation of instruction and playing material, i.e. applied stuff from the get go.

Shaunpski likes this.
  8. I got the Christmas Real Book in bass clef and Real Book in bass clef (vol 1.) right after Christmas.

That should keep me busy for years!!

9. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hey, I just stumbled across a great approach for this purpose, namely a set of arranged easier jazz standards titled Discovery Jazz: 15 Selections for Developing Jazz Ensembles. Nice tunes, and there are parts/booklets for each instrument.