Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Easy Question, but i forgot the answer...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Mar 19, 2005.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    How do you use two cabinets with one head?
    Like I said easy question but i forgot the answer.
    have a good day everybody
    thanks for replies

2. heads usually have two outputs...you take a cord and run it from one output to one input on one of the cabs, for the second cab, repeat this process :)

3. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    thank you :)

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If it's a speakon output (And theres one of them). Run from the speakon to the first cab, parallel out from that to the second.. You can do that with 1/4's too..

5. Is it bad to have different cabs?
    Like one cab is 1x15, and another is 1x10?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, depending.. But usually a 15 will over power the 10" sound wise.. But generally having two different cabs is what you want (Unless it's something with a mix of speakers).

7. But I am thinking of having 2x10 and 1x10
    So I can at really small gigs just bring the 1x10 :)

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think 210 and 112 would be a better option. I don't think 10's hold very well on their own. I've played through an EBS NEO 12 and that cab was amazing, fairly well priced as well.

9. But do you think 2x10 and 1x10 will work good together?

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well yes, but i think a 210 and 112 would work better.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It would have to be a really little gig for only a 1x10...like smaller than my bedroom. :meh:

I second the 1x12 and a 2x10 for a small rig. You COULD do a small gig with a 1x12.

12. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    ideally, I'd lookinto getting an Avatar B212, and just use that for all gigs. The 210 and 110 wont hold much power in a fairly large gig. and if you plan on using just the 110 sometimes, well, then you're out of your mind

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There is no problem connecting this set up, but check the impedence (ohms) rating of the cabs, usually listed by the imputs. You do not want to run unevenly matched (different impedence) cabinets together at high volumes, it can cause blown cabinets and in some cases fried power amp sections. Usually a 1 X 10 will have a differnent impedence then a 2 X 10 but not always. I run a 2 X 10 and a 4 X 10 together, both 8 ohms. No problems! Also check the back Amps manual before you set up a low (2 ohm) impedence to your head many power amp sections will not drive this low a load without dire concequences! Two 4 0hm cabs together equals a 2 ohm load. This is real important stuff and I'm no expert but doing it wrong probably accounts for more equipment failure then anything else combined!

14. But I want 2ohm to get my head putting out 500watts instead of 250 watts. And the cabs are at 4 ohm, so 2ohm together.

15. Agreed, i cant use a smaller rig than i have for bedroom practice, and thats a 4x10 :D

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Heh.

I don't even have a home practice amp...I use a pandora for my daily workout...which has helped me tremendously.

My practice rig for the band is the same as my gigging rig...4x10 + 1x12.

A few years ago I tried to buy a little low-wattage practice amp with a 10...I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't worth the effort...couldn't get anything out of it that I liked. I kept it for an hour before returning it.

:)