Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

easy song to learn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IOzzyl, Oct 23, 2002.

1. IOzzyl

IOzzyl

Oct 23, 2002
    mass
    I need a song thats easy to learn on bass. any one got any ideas?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What do you need the song for? Do you want a solo bass track or something you can suggest to a band that won't trip you up.

If you're looking for the latter, how about Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's. There is tab on this site but I'm not convinced by it... it's basically a 12 bar blues with a very simple but effective bass riff.

Wulf

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It's 12 bar in F (Bb and C) and the riff goes

Root Root minor 3rd 4th (4 to a bar) which is F F Ab Bb and so on

4. IOzzyl

IOzzyl

Oct 23, 2002
    mass
    i just need sum ideas of songs that would be semi-easy to learn by tabs since i just started out and dont know how to read music yet.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's a difficult question to answer because easy is a relative term ;)

I'd suggest listening through your music collection for basslines that sound like they might be in your grasp. See how much you can figure just by playing along - if you get stuck, search the Internet for tab (although beware that you can't be sure that the tab is a particularly good representation of the recording you've got - not least because the tabber may have been using a different version of the song!).

If you were looking through my collection and were into rock music, I'd probably suggest something like AC/DC or U2 - both bands have a lot of songs with very simple basslines.

Wulf

ps. BTW, shouldn't we be talking about this in General Instruction or, if you insist on mentioning the T word so much, the T** forum? :cool:

pps. I've nothing against Tab myself (see my frequent contributions to the aforementioned forum) but if you look around you'll see that some of my esteemed fellow bassists are sometimes, er, a little less keen on them :eek:

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    One of the few useful things that Pollybass has done was to post this link.

http://www.electricbass.ch/songs/songs_overview.php

The songs are in standard notation and you can brush up on your German at the same time.

As a poor reader I use this site by downloading a song and writing the notes underneath (the bottom line is G and the top line is A). Nothing wrong with tabs BTW but learning all the communication forms is a good idea. Next up Nashville chord charts ;)

7. Blitzkreig Bop

runnin with the devil

8. Would "Leviathan" by Yngwie Malmsteen (Fire & Ice CD) be too far out?

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There's so many great songs out there, it depends on your style of music.

If you like metal, I suggest: Teacher's Aren't Satan by The New Musicians

If you like jazz, try: I'm Getting a Teacher by The Beginner's Trio

If you listen to funk, how about: Gettin' a Teacha Sho Sounds Good 2 Me by The No Excuses Awkahstra.

Do you listen to classical? Learn: The Finding a Teacher Concerto in Dmin by The Just Learning Music Philharmonic.

Pop Music you say? Have you heard: My Baby's Helping Me Find a Teacher by 360 degrees of Learning.

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    sunshine of your love, by cream. bass anthem, easy lick to learn.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    jazzbo - I can't find any of your recommendations on Amazon. Whassup wid dat man?

Whaddya mean read them again and look for the theme?

:D :D

Wulf
    ;)

12. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I`m a begginer myself, so I still remember first song I`ve learned:)

Try RHCP`s Under The Bridge. Everybody knows it:) It`s an easy song, but also a challenging one, if you`re a begginer. Should give you few weeks of work, after wich you`ll be much better as a bassist:)

Also - form the known songs catalog - I recommend metallica`s "my friend of mysery" - It will challenge you, and It`s a great practice for finger coordination and alternation (learn it fingerstyle).

For others? Try The Cure songs - great, simple basslines. Try Sting - one of masters of simplicity and grace. Try R.E.M.

Oh, right. Do "hey joe" - it`ll strech your fingers, if they aren`t streched yet:)

-
    It`s not a matter of learning songs you can play, but rather learning songs that are a little above you current level. To evolve you have to challenge yourself.
    -
    You HAVE TO check out Wheat`s bassbook (www.wheatdesign.com or .org?) - great guide for begginers.

13. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Great point that I wish I had made first. :D

No point in learning easy riffs that don't sound so easy just to impress people. Although you may just want to impress yourself, in which case, listen for something you like and practice, practice, practice.
    IMO the best song for a beginner is "Scales" by Some Musical Pioneer. There are numerous versions of that song and you should learn them all.

14. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    hayngman - can you tell me where I can get the tab for 'scales'? :confused:

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's the simple one bar version in C major:

G-|-----------2-4-5-|-
    D-|-----2-3-5-------|-
    A-|-3-5-------------|-
    E-|-----------------|-

Nb. It's important to remember that the tab shows only one possible set of fingerings, and the consistent eighth note timing is purely a matter of taste and can be adapted to fit whatever suits you ;)

Wulf

16. "Something In The Way", by Nirvana... :D

No, not really. That's too easy. I'd go with with "Crazy Train," by Ozzy, for something easy, and for speed, I'd go with "Schism," by TOOL