1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

easy song to practice 7th arpeggios??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TexasGopher, Oct 7, 2013.

1. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Jul 25, 2012
    Hello folks---I am working on playing seventh chords and would like to find an easy song that has all 7th chords to work on. Any suggestions??? thanks

2. Obvious answer: pick/make a chord progression and build yourself an etude!

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Yes if you have access to an ipad for example use garage band to create the track for you to play to. Or use the ireal book app and use the 7th approach studies it has on it, you can change the genres, styles and tempos to suit your standard of playing.

4. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Jul 25, 2012
    You guys are probably too advanced and tech savvy for me. I guess I was hoping to learn a song I would recognize. Thanks though and appreciate the feedback. I guess for now, I will just make up my own progressions.

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Cmaj7
    Amin7
    Dmin7 (or Fmaj7)
    G7

Will cover major minor and dominant 7th chords.

Many songs use this progression. An oldie is In the Still of the Night.

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    It not to advanced, its just the way it is done, not many songs will riff on a 7th unless it is a dom 7.
    So a lot of Blues lines, Rock n Roll lines and rock lines will use minor pentatonics to utilise the dom7th within the song, listen to the start of Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi, or Billie Jean by Michael Jackson, both riffing with in a dom7 situation.

Minor 7 you will find in many minor Blues songs, and Major 7 i am having a mind blank on thinking of some that riff to make it a practical use to learn. Plenty of example in jazz walking bass line songs but the do not riff as such....Maybe some other can open ideas?