1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy songs to play and sing at the same time

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dain bramage, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Hi, what are some easy songs to play and sing at the same time?? I have problems with this. I'm looking mainly for songs in the pop-punk/classic punk category but I'll accept any modern or classic rock.

2. CoDBassPlayer

CoDBassPlayer

Oct 30, 2006
    Aksarben
    Any Blink 182 if you're the bassist and singing would be ideal for you I bet, but I might also suggest some Green Day and U2 aren't all that hard.(seperately, god forbid you do two people's vocals and bass parts at the same time!)

Really it all depends on your vocal range though, you might want to give us an example as to who you sing like.

P.S. I find Nirvana songs aren't that hard, after about 20 minutes of practice I can do both of them. Especially Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as You Are.(That was kind of off, I know, but alot of people like to hear Nirvana with their Green Day. I know I do.)

3. Yeah, I was thinking Blink. Green Day, what songs? Mike's a pretty good bassist. And about Nirvana, I'm not sure if I can sing like Kurt AT ALL.

4. CoDBassPlayer

CoDBassPlayer

Oct 30, 2006
    Aksarben
    Well it all depends on who you're playing to also. If you're playing to a pretty modern crowd the new Green Day is fairly simple basslines that just follow the guitar's power-chords. Some of the old stuff I don't even attempt, like Longview or Paradise(The one song with the bass solo in it when Billie Joe talks about how this place is his home or whatever. It's been forever sicne I've seen a Green Day CD.) ALOT of their old stuff was very note-filled but all their new stuff is extremely easy in my opinion, the only problem you may have would be speed if you play fingerstyle.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Wild thing...

6. Well, I just tried All the Small Things by Blink, easy as hell, even though my voice is nothing like Tom Delonge, which of course is a good thing.

7. CoDBassPlayer

CoDBassPlayer

Oct 30, 2006
    Aksarben
    Definately.

If you don't mind drop tuning I could tab you out a version of Baby Got Back by Grasshopper Takeover(The songs on their myspace. myspace.com/grasshoppertakeover ) The parts where you sing are just open strings and a 12 slide down so it's very simple.

8. My friend that if it's in a different vocal key than the original it'll sound retarded. Does this mean I have to be just as annoying as Tom Delonge for it to sound okay?