1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy starter songs for a teen?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by topper, Apr 23, 2006.

1. My son has asked me to teach him to play bass :hyper: . I need some help picking out a few easy songs he'll actually know. He listens to pop rock (The Killers, Nickleback) and pop/punk (green day, etc.) any ideas?

2. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Teach him to play the Blues. It's a good music history lesson for where Rock came from. More important you can start with simple bass lines, basic chord progressions that will be fundamental of the tunes he hears on the radio. Also easy to learn to feel chord changes. Also teaches him hear the I, IV, V progression and start playing along with CD's. Great way to get a new bass player playing music fast and developing confidence. After someone can play Blues its easy to move to the Rock tunes and compare to Blues to analyize the differences in chord changes and notes used in lines.

3. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    That's great advice for advice once he actually gets into it, but I have a feeling that the kid'll need to be learning some music that sounds like what he likes to listen to in order to hold his attention until he falls in love with the instrument and begins to develop some taste (no offense to the green day fans). That being said, older green day songs (Longview in particular) sometimes have some decent bass parts that wouldn't be too tough for a beginner. And if he likes them, teach him some Sum 41 stuff, they tend to do more interesting stuff than your average pop-punk band, but shouldn't be too tough. Basically, ask him what he wants to learn. Are there any songs that have bass parts that sound neat to him? Then figure them out and teach them to him. Once he gets a handle on the basics of technique, then I would teach him more complex stuff, or more about theory, but for now just teach him what he wants to learn to play.

4. Hyde is right, I want to find songs he will already know. Blues does provide a great foundation, but I'm afraid it will be tragically uncool right now. I'll check out the Green Day song Hyde mentioned. Any other ideas?

5. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Longview by Greenday...well, at least the opening bass riff.
    Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy. (DEFINATELY THIS SONG...ALL BASS OPENING, ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR SONGS ON THE RADIO RIGHT NOW)
    Rearranged by Limp Bizkit
    All fairly simple for a beginner, all are opened by unmistakable bass riffs.
    Oh yea, 1)Minute of Decay 2)Diary of a Dope Fiend 3)I Put A Spell On You...all by Marilyn Manson...bass driven songs

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes was popular not long ago and is very easy to play.

Nirvana is a good source of easy songs that are pretty cool (I'm not sure if they're still popular or not though)

If the kid is into punk, and old school punk might be considered cool, try Anarachy in the UK...

Classic rock is pretty cool (popular with the kids? I don't know...) ..so if the kid has good taste and likes the Pink Floyd, teach him Money... don't tell him untill later that it's basically a 12 bar blues...

7. The Hives - "Hate tio say I told you so", "Walk Idiot Walk"...both got little bass bits in 'em...

8. With or Without You- U2
    Wicked Game- HIM (they redid the Chris Isakk tune in metal)
    She Sells Sanctuary- Cult
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Green Day
    Open Up Your Eyes- Tonic

9. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to pick one or two songs and I'll post again to let you know how the first lesson goes.

10. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I'm a teen myself and I love the blues and think it's cool. You might just break him into the blue's.

11. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Black Sabbath

Get the book and CD for "We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll"

I really like "Snowblind" and "N.I.B."

be sure to check out www.bassbooks.com

Have fun!

Chad

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, no mention of Blink 182 thus far.

-Mike

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    blink 182

;)

seriously, if he likes the killers, nickelback and green day, teach him that stuff. none of it his hard to learn.

14. Here is what I started my 9 yr old on..

Iron Man - Black Sabbath
    Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Another one bites the dust - Queen
    Holiday - Green Day

Major/ Minor scale patterns - saying the scale notes as he plays them
    Major/ Minor Pentatonic scales - saying the scale notes as he plays them

chordal scales - E to A, A to D, D to G, etc..

15. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I think its great that your teaching your son to play bass. I've been playing for over a year now and i wish my parents showed me a few things (that is if they could play)

But i would start him off with some green day or somting and even though i really dont care for them they do have some very catchy bass lines that are a piece of cake to learn. Also show him how to read tabs or music which ever one, so that he can look up songs he really wants to know

And even though he might not like this type of music i think the music with the best bass lines and such is blues and jazz and even some classic rock and AC/DC is really easy as some one said earlier

Hope this helps

nick

16. If you wanna get REALLY basic, nothing tops the blizkreig bop by the ramones.

17. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Just about anything by AC/DC?

18. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I'd probably start him on sheet music. When I did piano when I was younger, I was taught straight sheet music. I can still read sheet music on piano very well. On bass not so much. I wish I had never heard the word tab. Now I don't look at them anymore I try to use my ear, however I believe if I started on sheet it would be alot better now. Also, I'd be expecting him to grow out of that type of music pretty fast. Most of it is a phase.

19. I wish I was better at reading sheet music, then maybe I could teach him. I'm sure I'll cover the basics of sheet music, but I can't teach him to sight read. I find Tab really useful for learning cover tunes, when it comes to playing originals, a chord chart is usually pretty helpful.

20. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    yes, another one bites the dust, queen
    great song/bass riff