1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Easy to come by bass spots in your area

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 22, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It would be interesting to hear how this differs around the globe.

If you weren't in a band and wanted to find one, would you have an Easy time finding one? Are there more bass spots than players in your area, or is it really hard to find a new project?

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    In my area, it sort of moves in waves. I watch the ads all the time, and I see occasional waves where many bass players are needed, and then I see waves where there aren't many bass ads.

Overall, if I wanted another project - and I do want a second :) - and I wanted to keep it close to my town, I'd say it would not necessarily be easy. It takes time and patience to find a matching project here.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I placed an ad in craigslist looking for a band. I have received 12 calls in 2 weeks time. Pretty easy here in Nashville.

Probably a different story if you're looking to step immediately into a paying gig.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    True. I always blow by any ads that use the word *jam*.
    I'm too old and life is too short to fool around with a project without a goal to get out there and Play. :)

I logged all my underachieving garage jam hours as a teenager. I reached my quota. :)

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    There are plenty of "bassist wanted" ads in Houston. I got about 10 emails a week after I put up an ad, although most of them didn't fit my style.

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I've found that many calling me either a)just want to jam, which means alot of standing around as someone else tries to struggle through their half-baked song, or b) they have a number of original songs, their desperate to play out or record a demo and want a bassist to do the work for free.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah. I crack-up on some of the oddball age limits I see, like ages 17-23 or whatever.

Actually, I get pissed (being forty-something myself) when I read an add that first talks about commitment and professionalism or whatever, and THEN brings-up some young and narrow age-range... Essentially elliminating most of their true oppertunities!

Joe

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I feel like bassists in Central Texas are in pretty high demand. I turn down a lot of offers because I simply don't have time to play in three or four bands at a time. I get an offer to play with or join a band about every third week, seriously! If I didn't have kids to support, I'd quit my day job and play in all the bands I could. But the kiddies gotta eat, and I have to be there for them, so I stick to one or two bands at a time.

Cherie

11. Here in the St. Louis/St. Charles, MO, USA area it seems there are musicians everywhere. I have been fortunate enough to have been a 'part of the scene' for a really long time now, so for me to find a project or a band to jam with is almost too easy! As a matter of fact, I accidentally become part of more projects then I can actually commit time to... One of the draw-backs of being a bass player with ADD - I can't say no!

So from my point of view, this area is rich in opportunity for project and jam situations. I can't speak for the 'paying gigs'. I do have a regular gig with a cover band and we seem to play pretty regularly in the 'outskirts' - but I have not sought work as a paid hired-gun.

So - in conclusion;
    Free opportunities are everywhere
    Paid opportunities... couldn't tell ya... not really lookin'

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Gigs are easy to get around Wichita. Solid, paying, active gigs require a little more finesse...

There are a few ways that I manage to sift through the "hobby" bands.

First, it's not that expensive to register a domain name. If your band's website starts with "geocities" or "freewebs" or something like that, I'm not interested. On the same token, if your email address is "yahoo.com" or "hotmail.com," I'll have a big raised eyebrow - granted, my band still keeps our hotmail account active, but that's because we used it for over a year before registering the domain name and using that email address.

Secondly, pro bands have pro ads. Most working bands do not have handwritten ads. Their ads should have few or no spelling errors, especially with a few key words - words like "bassist," "cymbals," "experience"... I figure that legit groups should know how to spell these things. Professional ads should be worded professionally (although since punk and hardcore bands are coming up more often, this rule is starting to slide). When I post ads, I have a habit of getting responses from guys who are WAY older than I am, simply because I word my ads professionally.

Finally, red flag words - "trying to get signed"... "Age range" that is less than ten years... "new band" with "lots of gigs lined up" (riiiiight)... "jam" of course... there are a few more...

13. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If you play, sing and don't show up to gig and rehearsals late, drunk or high, you are very easily employed around here.

DCat,

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In Atlanta, there are alot of ads, but the majority seem to looking for nu metal types, or classic rock/blues types, which is cool if that's what you're into. Alot of the ads are looking for "professional gear, positive attitude, your own car, willing to travel, and to want get signed, 17 - 20 years old". That last qualification doesn't seem to come with that package. There is a clique here, so to speak, in the R&B/soul world. If there's gig or session available, chances are you won't get it, unless you're in or friends with someone in the "bass circle". That's how I've gotten alot of my work outside of El Pus. Sux, but it is what it is. Atlanta's not the only place like this, of course.

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I agree. A lot of bassists are guilty of this, too. This is the actual wording for an ad placed by a local bassist:

Experienced bass player available.
    A lot of exp. in country, rock and blues.
    Reply to e-mail address.
    Thank you.

That's the whole ad. It tells you nothing about him, his experience, his equipment, or what he's looking for.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I wish this was the situation for me.

I hear ya with taking care of the kiddies - I have a few myself. :)

But, I wouldn't mind going from one band to two. That's the goal.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah, I apply filters for all of those. :)

18. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have learned these definitions, too:

Country/rock=country
    Country-influenced rock=country
    Southern rock=country
    "Our music really isn't country"= country band desperate for a bass player.
    "We understand that you have a real job"="We expect you to quit your real job as soon as we start making money."

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Those are really funny.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1!
    Two more:
    "Must be professional." = We're going to ask you to do the crap we don't want to do ourselves.
    "Must be a team player" = *We're going to ask you to do the crap we don't want to do ourselves.

*: Also could mean, "You're just the bass player. We will treat you as such.....and ain't good."