Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Easy to play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mellem, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Ok, I have found that for some reason, our school's MIM Fender Jazz is ten times easier to play than my Peavey bass. Both are cheap basses, same scale and everything, so now I have a couple of questions. First of all, what makes one bass easier to play than another? Is it like the action or something that makes the strings easier to play? I haven't changed the strings on my bass in two years, that could be it. Also, what is a good solid bass that is a little easier to play? Or at least one that isn't known for being hard to play. I know, I'm a wimp.

2. it could be a simple difference like different string gauges. a heavier string will need more tension to be brought up to pitch, so it takes more force to press down when you want to play.

you weren't very clear on what you mean by 'easy to play'

it could also be string spacing, maybe one has a wider or narrower string spacing which is more comfortable for you to play.

it could also be setup...meaning action and neck relief.

newer strings won't make it easier to play, but they can make it sound better.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    it could be the simple fact that your bass needs a good setup job.

4. whoa, your school can afford a MIM Jazz? Jeez, my school fees are 10 grand a year (Australian) and our Schools got some ancient Squier with broken pickups.

5. my school has an old 1960's Fender Jazz Bass (its a beauty too, you should hear its growl!!), some old Peavey head, a Peavey 2x15, Peavey TNT combo, Epiphone Les Paul and tons of recording gear. its pretty cool.

6. werbo

werbo Guest

Sep 8, 2001
    kingston NY
    only bass my school ever got was a stand up...i shud ask my teacher htough about it

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Could be different fingerboards, the MIM Jazz might have a rosewood while yours has a maple or something like that.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Fretboard radius can have a certain impact on how one experiences playability.

9. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Thanks guys,
    By easy to play, I mean easy to press the strings down and not get a buzzing sound. Keep in mind that my bass hasn't been setup or re-stringed in at least 2 yrs (it's used).

10. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    You definitly want to get it set up again. You would be suprised how much easier it will be to play. After that if your still having trouble just work on you technique.

11. new strings will at least make it easier to slide on and they won't stick you're fingers when you pluck them to you can pluck alittle faster, so I would buy new strings the difference is amazing.

12. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    As stated before, get your bass setup with new strings.

What is the action on your Peavey compared to the Jazz?

Also take a look at the neck on your Peavey. Look down the neck with the bass in a horizontal position so you can see the stings in relation to the neck. The neck may need adjusting.