Easy to transcribe solos

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by jazzbasser535, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Hey Janek,
    I know you are really into transcribing solos from all different musicians, and I am hoping to start transcriping some solos as well. The only problem is, every jazz solo I hear seems too difficult to transcribe. Do you have any recommendations on tunes with easy solos to transcribe?

Thanks

P.S. You're a great player.

2. user3653753

user3653753 Guest

Jan 28, 2004
    Try a few of the early miles davis solo records.....

I would check out the series of albums he did that include:

cookin, workin, relaxin, and steamin....

songs on those albums I would look into might include:

If I were a bell, I could write a book, airgin, surrey with the fringe on top, salt penuts, when I fall in love, my funny valentine. Those are all solos I transcribed from those records. I think I worked on trumpet and tenor solos from those records mainly.

A really nice solo is the famous one from "so what" on the album "kind of Blue. It's melodic, modal, and over just two chords.

Easy,

Janek

3. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Thanks a lot! That's good, cause I have all those Miles Davis albums. Also, I forgot to mention that I transcribed the trumpet solo from Freddie Freeloader already.
    Thanks again

4. Tenorhaulic

Tenorhaulic

Jul 11, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Also try the (what I think is) trumpet solo from "Deception" in Davis' Birth of the Cool.

5. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey,
    the oleo solo is a great tune as well. very nice melodic ideas from miles :) plus its got you soloing over rhythm changes :smug:

hope that helps some,

evan