1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easy ways to annoy the guitarist...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Minger, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    So, as I was messing around in study block (yeha, lunch + study block in school means I'm playing bass for about an hour after I spend about a mintue to eat)...On my Ibanez SR800...kill the bass/mids, crank the treble.

And then come the powerchords. Well, I guess it threw off the other 2 guys in there playing guitar...

Also...for the easily amused...turn up the mid boost, and just keep turning the mid sweep back and forth when playing a note. Man, its weird.

And this is how I usually noodle around in school...:p

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've jokingly told a couple of guitarists something like "drummers are hard to replace but a guitarist can be fired just for being more handsome than me".

3. My guitarist is annoying by nature. Back in 1-10 grade, he could irritate the h€11 out of a rock:p But i'm used to it. Have been friends since gindergarden. He has some serious skills on the guitar, and we have been frinds for almost 18 years now. Great guy.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was in a band with this VERY talented, but egomaniacal guitarist, so to mess with him, in rehearsal, I'd look over at him with a puzzled look and say, "Where are you at?" :confused: He'd automatically assume that he was screwing up, so he'd dial back the fill ins and fancy runs, and just concentrate on the song. It took him about 7 months before he caught on. Boy, he wasn't too happy with the band when he did, but he got over it.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks Woodchuck. Fun will be had this weekend. I have two gigs with two different bands but the guitar players are pretty much on their game. I will still mess with them though.
    I will use your bit to make them think they are screwing up.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I love ticking off the drummer by farting next to him then strolling away.
    He knows whats going to happen when I walk up to him and theres nothing he can do to stop the stink.
    If I get too close he'll smack me with a stick.
    The rest of the night we'er both playing tight and hard trying to make the other screw up.

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    tell the guitarist to quit drinking. thats what annoys my guitarist.

8. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh

:) That's funny........I do that to my boss.......There's a door on both sides of his office. I'll fart in the hall right before I walk in and after a few seconds just walk straight through his office.

I call it trolling...:)

9. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    My guitarist will noodle through something between songs at rehearsal and gigs, typically wasting time or causing dead air. At rehearsal, during the break, I'll pick up his guitar and play what he was attempting. :)

10. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I've also heard that described as doing a "drive-by" :p

11. One oldies night at the VFW we get a request for 'Old time Rock and Roll'.

Guitar player is in a pissy mood that night. He hates doing the song and doesn't want to sing it so he says I'll have to even though I know about 65% of the words. THEN he bitches about the key I choose! I didn't want to do the original key - 'E' I think - 'cos it was late and my voice was about spent.

So we kick it off in 'E' - like he wants - and when it comes time to do the guitar solo he plays a very indifferent chorus, then looks back over to hand the vocal back to me...and I ignore him. I go and stand next to the drummer and lock in with him.

So the guitarist has to do another chorus.

He looks over again and I'm still grooving with the drummer...and still ignoring him. He can't stop 'cos he'll look like a fool, and he knows it. The rhythm guitarist (his girfriend) looks over at me and kinda grins - she gets what I'm doing 'cos he's been a pain in the ass all evening - so I ignore him for still another chorus.

The grumpy old bastard had to play 8 CHORUSES Of 'Old Time Rock N Roll' !! The dancers were into it and I was actually having fun - but I could see the steam rising out of his ears. Sic semper..

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    having your bass louder than their WHOLE full stack 150 watt triple rectifier head hehe... That usually gets them

13. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    here's a really good one, especially live. If your guitarist uses pedals (which most do) then what you do is while he's not looking, or when he's really into a sole, "accidently" step on the pedal, switching frm distortion, to clean, hehe, it's soo fun to do. and also having everyone in the band tune a half step down, so he sounds like crap. it's mean, but pretty amusing!!!

14. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    my guitarists hates the fact that i can play more difficult things on bass with more quality and talent than he can on guitar (including chords and such). and my guitarists hates it when i learn lead guitar parts or solos on bass..and pretty much anything that a guitar could see as a bass "overstepping his boundries"

15. 1. Use the guitar solo to get creative with the time and the style. Let 'er rip.

2. Reharmonize everything on the fly such that at a musical climax you end up playing a major tenth below the guitarist's note that he or she is thinking of as a root.

16. HAHAHA!

:eek:

17. As I said, my guitarist is a great guy, though annoying. I haven't found any way to tick him off yet. Well, exept when I start asking about his lovelife, that bothers him:p

18. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    My current guitarist seems bothered by the fact I'm a normal "righty" while he is a "lefty" which would normally make him able to use me as a guideline to which chord he should play. (just mirror)

Untill I switched from my 4stringer (DGCF, we play everything in D) to my 5stringer (BEADG) which killed that idea and killed his "rockstar in the practiceroom" antics because now he actually had to pay attention to where we are instead of looking over at me :D

19. If you REALLY want to piss a guitarist off just roll all of the knobs all the way counterclockwise back to zero. :eek: A bass player can find their sound again in about 2 minutes but it'll take a guitarist DAYS, lol.

20. While walking off the stage after soundcheck/between sets/etc, detune just one string on their guitar. If you're really sneeky, or if they're really into a solo, you can do it right in the middle of them playing haha.