Eat Some Fish ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 14, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since this seems to be "Food Week" on TB - What is your favorite fish and how is it prepared???

...And I don't mean shrimp/clams/oysters/"lobstahs"

Gimme some fried grouper, or wahoo, or braised striped bass. I would love to hear from you people who love your seafood.........I do too. And here I am in the middle of the USA where the rubes wouldn't know great seafood if it wasn't on the Food Channel..

So - what is "wonderful fish" and how is it prepared where you live ???
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Orange roughy is probably my fave. I've prepared it with basic olive oil/garlic/parmesan type marinade, creamy dill sauce, tequila lime sauce and just grilled. It's great fish.

I really like rainbow trout. I ordered trout a couple of times when we were up in Colorado last month. The best I had was the campfire trout from the restaurant at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.

Last week I prepared some tilapia in cipriani sauce that was awesome!

brad cook
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, you may be tired of Salmon - but it's my favorite fish to prepare.
    You've got to start with a fresh Coho (silver) salmon that you catch yourself. By fresh, I mean not only fresh caught, but the fish (if harvested in fresh water) must be fresh in from the ocean's salt water. (you can tell because they haven't started to change coloration yet and still have Sea Lice near the tail - that means they are less than 48 hours in fresh water)
    Once you've got your prime Silver Salmon picked out and filleted, take a cube of butter and melt it, mix in a good splash of worstershire a little lemon juice and salt and pepper. Take the two filets and put them skin side down and pour the seasoned butter mixture evenly over the tops. It should make kind of a waxy buttery glaze after a bit as the butter hardens. Now fire up the barbeque and set it to a medium to low flame. Take a sheet of foil and fold the edges up so that it makes a little dish. Place the salmon filets skin side down on the foil and place the foil on the grill. Grill covered until the meat is light pink and no longer translucent and flakes with a fork. Do not overcook. Do not attempt to turn. When it is done, the skin will stick to the foil and the filet will pull away from the skin for easy removal of skinless fillet. The same recipe also works well with nice thick salmon steaks.
    My second choice would probably be beer battered and deep fried sturgeon. MMMMmmm. I like fish.
  4. I'm not a fan of fish. But I do like the things that aren't allowed in this thread. Shellfish, crustacians(sp), ect.

Chowder's are good too.

So is chilli. Mmmm chilli.
  5. rickbass

MAN! You guys do have some good recipes to try.

Here in the Midwest. chefs just don't get too creative with, the seafood we get is typically just the crap you guys on the coasts won't eat, like, tail cuts.

Bryan - no offense to shellfish and crustaceans, but, those are hard to screw up in my experience. I make an orgasmic N. England clam chowder, a mussel pasta with a white wine heavy butter sauce that comes with baguettes for dipping the sauce, and a conch ceviche and fresh tortilla chips that can't stay on a plate.

But, with all the friends here at TB from all over the world and all over the US, I would love to hear their our planet shrinks. I learn so much from these food discussions.
  6. rickbass

Ahi tuna???.....yes, yes!?!?!
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Grilled swordfish, not burned to a rubby mush but grilled correctly, is the best. Season with butter, lemon, whatever floats your boat. --Also baked stuffed haddock, if the stuffing is good and covered with some type of interesting sauce.
  8. rickbass

I had some fish cooked on a cedar plank up your way, (well, Portland, ME), and it was exceptionally good!!!

But I can't dig the lobster roll thing at all - talk about bland! It was in Kennebunkport. I think a roll of Charmin might have more flavor!
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun particular Toro and Hamachi.

Barely seared Ahi is very nice.

Striped bass baked with a little butter, ground pepper, and a twist of lemon.

Fried grouper sandwich.
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You had a bad lobster roll. Unless you just don't like lobster? there are A LOT of places around here that take crap overcooked lobster, slap it in a hotdog roll with some mayo and call it a lobster roll, charging 7-15$ for it too. I guess you have to know where to go. If you ever make it to Mass. let me know and I'll buy you a good one.
  11. rickbass

That's exactly what it seemed like, Joshua. My brother, who lives just outside of Boston, took me to this place in Kennebunkport and I would rather have had "Fish n' More" at Long John Silver's by a long shot.

It just seemed to be mayo and lobster.........and believe me, no one loves good cold water "lobstah" better than sauce, no "lobster thermidor" or any of that stuff with sauces...just drawn butter and lemons!!!

I've had some monkfish that reminds me of lobster, though.
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This thread has inspired me. I'm on my lunch break right now enjoying fish & chips. I think it's Cod. In honor of our English friends I have doused both the fish and the chips in malt vinegar. Good stuff, good stuff.
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Salmon or Ahi, uncooked.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I work in the salmon fisheries business, but smoked steelhead would be my favorite local seafood dish.

Sorry to break the rules of the thread, but Dungeness crab phad thai would be a close second. Havarti stuffed Alaskan king salmon is another favorite. I prefer wild salmon that hasn't made it back to fresh water yet, personally, but Matthew's on the right track. Netted fish from the Columbia still tastes pretty good, especially the springers, but Alaskan product is da goods, unless you go catch your own of course. Poaching with fresh dill is another nice option.

Back when I lived on the east coast, striped bass and bluefish were the thing. A simple mustard brushed treatment works great. If you want to go all out, a pit roast at the beach, with a kelp wrap, is pretty keWl. A good lobster roll reWlz too. Butter, no mayo, thanks!
  15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    How could I forget the bluefish!!
  16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bluefish is generally regarded as a less desirable fish. Very oily and fishy. If cooked right after the catch with loads of lemon and pepper I can enjoy it. But it's a great fight....really pissed off fish.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some of my all time favorites, talapia(sp?), Halibut, sea bass, and yellow tail.

Fried fish is groovy too, because it doesn't really matter what the fish is, it'll still taste good(as with most fried foods) ;)

My step dad makes a great broiled fish with talapia or halibut, seasoning to die for.

When he prepares fish we often eat it with tahini(sp?), which is kind of like hummus, and Lime, together they make for a great topping.

I love fish, but I dislike how the tiniest bone or piece of skin can totally sour the taste in your mouth, no matter how good the meat is. Fortunately, 9/10 this isn't a problem because my step-dad prepares the fish very well, but occasionally, it can't be helped. :meh:
  18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm with Pacman on the raw Ahi, but with some spices (it's called poke here). Opah is the best tasting fish though IMO, but a fresh yellow-fin Ahi or a nice Mahi-mahi isn't bad either...There's a massive school of Ulua's running right now near a pier! Gonna have to try and catch one today...
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You're dead on, on all accounts. Bluefish sells at practically giveaway prices in many places. Oddly, so did lobster, back a zillion years ago when I was a kid living on the Connecticut coast. The mustard thing works great on bluefish, but fans of blander, gentler white fishies will probably never like it that much, I guess. They're a tremendous sport fish, in any case. So are striped bass.
  20. Orange Roughy, the way my mommy makes it. :D