1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB-0 mudbucker routing template

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm beginning the steps to build a clone Jazz Bass of one of my favorite bass players, Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad. Back in the day, Mel played a Jazz with a EB-0 humbucker pup in the place of the traditional jazz pickup. I'm going to purchase a high end Warmoth jazz body and haven't been able to locate a template I can use to route the pup cavity. Any suggestions from you experts?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Measure the pickup. Cut a hole that size.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Use the pickup to make a pattern, then use a spiral bit on a router to make a template, or even a coping saw.

Guiseppe likes this.
  4. royallion

royallion

Jul 11, 2019
    Guiseppe - what did you end up doing? I am planning to route a neck cavity in a Squire P bass body for a mudbucker. I have an EB0, so I'll probably just measure the cavity in that and duplicate it.

5. The route for those is a square or rectangle. You could double stick tape some straight edge boards to the body and use those as a router pattern or guide.

royallion likes this.
  6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Getting one from Curtis Novak with the pup.

7. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Mel might have routed (or chiseled, they say) on the neck side, the bridge side, or on both sides of the existing route. If you try to examine photos (download, zoom in, and measure) to determine which way he went, I hope you'll tell us. Thanks.

Guiseppe likes this.