eb-3 copy replacement pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vic_6, Jul 7, 2005.

1. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey guys!

i just got a '68 Greco EB-3 copy that wasnt in the best condition but was pretty usable (only $50). i played it and well, it was pretty damn good. thing is, the neck pup seemed to keep dying out (sometimes it played sometimes it didnt). so i brought it to a luthier neighbor of mine and he said that the neck pup is dead.

so you guys know what i can put as a replacement? brand? model?

any help would be appreciated.

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Dimarzio model 1. It's a direct drop in replacement for the eb3. Billy Shean useses it. Also, WD parts has a replacement eb3 pickup.
  3. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    yeah? cool. thanks man!
  4. You may want to measure your old pup before buying the Dimarzio- it might not be the same size.

I have a Electra EB3 copy and in a fit of exhaustion/boredom, decided to look into replacing the pups. What I found out was they aren't the same demensions and thus aren't a straight R&R. I'm probably wrong, but I think the Dimarzio's are slightly bigger.

I searched the 'net for info on replacements and came up empty. :crying: The only options I came up with are getting the pups rewound or routing the body to fit the new pups.

I may be wrong, but I think Greco is one of many names slapped on guitars/basses built by Matsumoko back in the day.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/arai_matsumoku.html may be a good source for info/parts. dunno for sure, but it's worth the look.

http://www.ibanez-vintage-page.de/ has a forum where you may find someone selling a replacement pup or a link to a supplier. Haven't been there in a while, but I don't remember the site having alot of traffic- I wasn't able to get much help. Lotsa history and specs, though.

5. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    greco did come from the matsumoko factory.

didnt find anything from the sites. but thanks for the help though.

the only sites i've found about greco are either of no help dead ends or are in japanese... gotta find some people who can read nippongo.. hehe!