1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB-3 vs Explorer bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Sep 11, 2002.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I've been saving money for a new bass, something a bit more professional than a squire p-bass. I've come across two basses that are affordable and ,as heard from various sources, of good quality.

These two basses are both epiphones, the EB-3 and the Explorer Bass. So, if you'd like to help out. Give me some info that they don't tell you in the Ads.

And please, unless you can think of a bass that's utterly fantastic for around $500, just keep it to these two basses. I've already narrowed it down exclusivly.

2. Wow! An EB-3. You don't really hear much talk about them these days. Well, it just so happens that I like EB-3s too, I played one last April for a good while and pretty much loved it. It has that huge humbucker right at the end of the neck which gives a super deep and full sound, balanced with that mini-humbucker at the bridge which can get reasonably close to a Jazz bass sound. It also has a 3 position switch (I love this feature on Gibson type basses) and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. A lot of people say that the old EB-3s were on the muddy sounding side, and whether or not this is true is not a point of discussion here, but, the new Epi EB-3s are not muddy sounding at all. For lack of a better example, they sound something like a very deep sounding P-bass if you just use the neck pup, but, combine that with the 3 way switch and the ability to control the volume of either pup and you have a VERY versatile sounding bass. An Epi EB-3 is still a bass I'd like to own. On the down side I'm sure you know that they're just about at the top of the neck diving list, but, I think this is just a matter of getting used to. My vote is 100% for the EB-3.
    I can't say a word about the explorer because I never played one.

While we're on the subject of Epiphones, if you ever get a chance to check out their Jack Casady bass, do so. It will blow your mind. I own one and absolutely love it. Do a search if you want more info. I've rambled on about this bass too much. If the Casady were a religion, I'd be standing on the corner handing out tracts. (Religious booklets ;) )

The EB-3 is a good bass. I think you'll be happy with one.

Good Luck.

Mike J.

3. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Hmm, I've seen the Jack Cassady(sp). I'm a bit hesitant about getting a hollow bodied bass. I predominantly play somewhat heavy punk and hollow bodies just seem a little too delicate. I have been looking into a Les Paul bass, but I'm waiting for a color other than (blech) vintage sunburst. Looks like a rugburn wound.

Neck Diving eh? That shouldn't be too bad of a problem, I tend to rest the side of the neck on the upper part of my palm (right where it meets w/ the fingers). Plus the way I work the patch cord normally should tether it a bit; I have a tendancy to trip on my cord so I just work it through two belt loops to keep it hanging behind me.