EB-3 vs Explorer bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Sep 11, 2002.

1. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I've been saving money for a new bass, something a bit more professional than a squire p-bass. I've come across two basses that are affordable and ,as heard from various sources, of good quality.

These two basses are both epiphones, the EB-3 and the Explorer Bass. So, if you'd like to help out. Give me some info that they don't tell you in the Ads.

And please, unless you can think of a bass that's utterly fantastic for around $500, just keep it to these two basses. I've already narrowed it down exclusivly.
  2. Wow! An EB-3. You don't really hear much talk about them these days. Well, it just so happens that I like EB-3s too, I played one last April for a good while and pretty much loved it. It has that huge humbucker right at the end of the neck which gives a super deep and full sound, balanced with that mini-humbucker at the bridge which can get reasonably close to a Jazz bass sound. It also has a 3 position switch (I love this feature on Gibson type basses) and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. A lot of people say that the old EB-3s were on the muddy sounding side, and whether or not this is true is not a point of discussion here, but, the new Epi EB-3s are not muddy sounding at all. For lack of a better example, they sound something like a very deep sounding P-bass if you just use the neck pup, but, combine that with the 3 way switch and the ability to control the volume of either pup and you have a VERY versatile sounding bass. An Epi EB-3 is still a bass I'd like to own. On the down side I'm sure you know that they're just about at the top of the neck diving list, but, I think this is just a matter of getting used to. My vote is 100% for the EB-3.
    I can't say a word about the explorer because I never played one.

While we're on the subject of Epiphones, if you ever get a chance to check out their Jack Casady bass, do so. It will blow your mind. I own one and absolutely love it. Do a search if you want more info. I've rambled on about this bass too much. If the Casady were a religion, I'd be standing on the corner handing out tracts. (Religious booklets ;) )

The EB-3 is a good bass. I think you'll be happy with one.

Good Luck.

Mike J.
  3. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Hmm, I've seen the Jack Cassady(sp). I'm a bit hesitant about getting a hollow bodied bass. I predominantly play somewhat heavy punk and hollow bodies just seem a little too delicate. I have been looking into a Les Paul bass, but I'm waiting for a color other than (blech) vintage sunburst. Looks like a rugburn wound.

Neck Diving eh? That shouldn't be too bad of a problem, I tend to rest the side of the neck on the upper part of my palm (right where it meets w/ the fingers). Plus the way I work the patch cord normally should tether it a bit; I have a tendancy to trip on my cord so I just work it through two belt loops to keep it hanging behind me.