EB Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caesarbass, Feb 13, 2005.

1. I'm really wanting a 4 string Ernie Ball Bongo. The reviews I have read are all A+, but I need some real life/gig info on these basses. How are they live, through a P.A., recording, etc...? :confused:
  2. Im actually kind of wondering the same myself. Everyone that has one is praising them. What tone can they most be compared to? Are they anything like Stingrays or what? If they sound good id be willing to buy one even though i hate the looks haha.
  3. When the Bongo first came out I wasn't too crazy about the look, but then I kept hearing all the talk that they were great, blah, blah, blah, and suddenly I was brainwashed into liking them. Now I think that they look pretty damn cool, they also really play like a dream, I especially like the 4 string. I'm pretty spoiled having a Sadowsky MV5 that has such a great sounding/playing "B" string, I didn't really "love" the "B" on the 5 string Bongos I played, but then again that was in a music store. The 4 is on my GAS list.
  4. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    what does GAS mean...
  5. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    It means Gear Aquisition Syndrome.Basically means you want a piece of gear E.g.I'm Gassing for a Bongo or I have Gas for a bongo
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Check the official Bongo thread - there's more there than you can possibly ask for there. I'd put a link to it here but i'm too lazy. :)
  7. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Never played a Bongo, but I'll give an impression from the audience's point of view. Saw Johnny A. in Baltimore a couple weeks ago and his bass player was playing a Bongo. The sound was huge, fat, and strong. Really big in the mix. Sometimes reminded me of a stand up and sometimes reminded me of a SR. Just a wonderful sounding bass that filled the room.
  8. I'm kind of new to forums, how do I go about finding a particular thread? Do I do a general search? Thanks for your help. :help: I'm looking for the thread about the Bongos that JoeNerve mentioned.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  10. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The first time I played a Bongo was about 6 mos. ago, I have to admit the sound of these things are really versitile as far as the highs and the lows. I played this bass through an SWR and then through an Ampeg classic and the Bongo performed well through both. Left me wanting one of these also.

Just my $00.2 :bassist:
  11. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I've been giggin'/recording with my dual humbucker Bongo 5 since July '04 and it's been great. The only thing I've ever got from FOH about it is how to tame the lo-end :p It tracks well and can get amazing P-bass sounds with the neck p/u soloed as well as some killer J-bass 'scooped bridge p/u burp' along with it's very own agressive MM tone.... hope that isn't too metaphorical but helpful for ya.
    they are some very versatile basses, you might also want to look into either the single humbucker or the humbucker/single-coil option.
  12. I've gotta get one of these...thanks guys!!!!
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'm sorry...I ain't buying it...they're ugly IMO...shoot me!
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm with you Dude, that's why I'm toying with the idea of having a Lakland bridge PUP fitted to the neck position as well. I'll pick up a used 55-02 for this project.

I'm not slamming the Bongo looks, I"ve seen one used live and IMO they look pretty good on stage, just not my cuppa tea.
  15. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Finally had my chance at trying out a Bongo-5 last night. Still not easy on the eyes for me, but IT DID SOUND AWESOME!!! That's really where it's at. It was an HH model and I was running it through a Mesa M-Pulse 600/2x10 combo. The windows were literally rattled until I was able to get a handle on the low end. Great tonal range. I'm convinced about this instrument as a performer.

But I don't have the cash to plunk down on one right now........and a Spector Euro is still at the top of my G.A.S. list.
  16. scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
  17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

How was the "B' string on the Bongo 5. I've only played a 4 string which I quite liked but being a spoiled 35" scale Lakland owner, I was curious as to whether the B was floppy or tight. Does it punch or flop?

When I used Godin Med/Light D'Addarios and then EB Slinky's on my 34" scale Godin BG-5, the B was not great. It didn't tighten up until I put Dean Markley Med Nickels on.
  18. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Thanks, but I've tried that thread already. There was one post about the B being clean and growly but didn't answer my question. Mostly "OH GAWD I WANT ONE" or "I love the body-style", stuff like that.

The Bongo is a 34" scale guitar. Does anybody have an opinion on the B string; floppy or tight, loose or punchy. Thanks,
  20. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've played 2 Bongos (although they were both single coil/humbucker models) and I hated the low B on both.