1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB Cobalt Flats -vs- Rotosound RS77 Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jallenbass, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Anyone have experience with both of these and preferably on the same bass? Seems like they are both in the same ballpark. Curious how they compare with each other.

2. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I guess no one has.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Difference is rotos die quickly and turn into a different animal tone wise.
    Cobalts hold their sound for a long time.
    Cobalts are not the smoothest flat out there but are compared to the rotos.
    All just my experience.

4. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Thanks. That's helpful. I have a set of Cobalt flats that are a couple of months old and I keep wondering when they are going to start to darken. I hope not for a while because I really enjoy having a round wound sounding string that feels like a flat.

shawshank72 likes this.
  5. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    I just posted on another thread that after putting cobalt flats on one of my basses amonth ago, I liked them. Slick, flexible and bold.

But I pulled that bass out this weekend and immediately thought the strings were a little sticky. Afterwards, when I wiped down the strings with Bass Brites, I noticed brown oxidation residue - rust??

I found a bunch of cobalt guitar string threads since 2012 claiming rust, then references to new Ernie Ball NeverRust strings...

Any thoughts?

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Roto 77's feel fairly rough, and their sound darkens quickly. Steve Harris (who admittedly is not an average player) actually incorporates an Aphex Exciter into his rig which he turns on later in his shows to keep his "new string" tone; that's how fast they break in. The broken in tone is fine, but it's definitely different from the bright tone they have when brand new.

EB Cobalts have the same smooth feel as most flats and stay brighter longer, probably due to their metallurgy. They definitely are "flats that sound like rounds". I haven't noticed any rusting problems yet.

7. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I had some problems with residue with the cobalt flats. They're my favorite sounding strings but they don't react with my sweat well I guess. They would get brown but still sound fine. I still use them but now I wipe off my hands before playing and I think that's helping.

8. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

How do they compare to other flats in your opinion?

9. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    They were great. The rotosounds were okay but they settle into their gone rather quickly so it depends on if you like the bright tone right out the package. They were also fairly tense. Chromes are also kind of tense but less so than the rotosounds they also maintain their initial tone longer or as least the loss is more gradual. The cobalt flats really do combine the two worlds of flatwounds and roundwounds in my opinion. They're brighter than traditional flats but they don't sound like rounds either. They're fuller than rounds but maintain a great clarity and growl to them that flats (even something like the chromes) don't really have. They're also pretty flexible. Depending on what you're looking for they could be perfect. They were for me.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have not used rotosounds since i was playing a rickenbacker in the 1980's I have used the cobalts on my birdsong and i agree with all thats been posted about them in this thread! They really do combine the assets of both flats & rounds, they last a long time and sound great. Truly a unique string in the world of electric bass! Im a rounds guy, i only like flats on hollow bodys, but the cobalts are so versatile, i would not hesitate to install them on any of my basses!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I use Cobalt Rounds and yes, they do get kind of disgusting looking after a while. In my case it's just a dark, dull grey but they still sound fine. Strange...

12. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    My experience with Rotosound 77s -- maybe it's the string gauges or the scale lengths, but I find they stay zingy for a very long time. My strings took a whole year of playing for them to sound right. And by right, I mean no zing.