1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eb concert, Bb Conert and Chromatic.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jolt, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Jolt

Jolt

Sep 28, 2010
    Hey i'm kinda new here, and i was wondering if i could get some help,
    I don't exactly know how to play the Eb concert scale, Bb concert scale or the Chromatic scale.
    I was just wondering if i could get a link to some tabs or if you could help me out,
    greatly appreciated.

2. thecool

thecool

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds like my first few days in grade 9 music class... learn to actually read the notes it'll help you out way more than tabs. And you could just google major scale and after reading a bit you'll be able to piece it together yourself. These are VERY basic things, knowledge is power, don't just take the easy way out.

3. From your post I'm assuming you are new to scales, if so I think this will help.
    http://www.cyberfretbass.com/scales/basic/page2.php The classic Box Pattern - Red dot is the root. The numbers are the fingers to use. 1=index, 2=middle, 3=ring, 4=little finger. Pattern takes place over four frets and you have four fingers.

What you are asking for are all major scales so the major generic box pattern will work for them all. Just place the root note (name of the scale) on the 4th string of your fretboard and the other notes in that scale are waiting for you within the pattern. Place the "box" and play the pattern.

Now with that chromatic scale - place it the same way, and then do not skip any frets between notes.

This may help: http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html
    As D# and Eb are the same notes with two names this generator has the tendency of giving the sharp equivalent , i.e. D# instead of Eb, I find it helpful, don't bet the farm on the choice of flat or sharp names being "correct", you have to adjust that yourself.

D# Major
    intervals: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
    half-steps: 2-2-1-2-2-2-1
    notes: D#,E#,F##,G#,A#,B#,C##

If you are not new to scales, I may have missed your question.

4. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    This is showing my lack of knowledge (and probably straying way off topic), but I thought that "concert scales" were for transposing instruments (like the clarinet). The music is written one way so that the finger patterns are consistent. When played on the clarinet, a "C" (as written on the score) actually sounds a Bb. So, it's a difference between the notation and the actually pitch.

Am I even close on this?

5. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Concert pitch is the actual pitch. Not necessarily the note as played on the instrument. It's handy when dealing with wind instruments so the players know if, for example, they are playing a Bb on their instrument or if the are playing Concert Bb which could be played as a C, G, etc on their respective instruments.

6. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Remove the word "concert" OP, it's talking about something else entirely which you don't need to worry about now.

Do you know how to construct a major scale? Figure that out before anything else, and you'll have all the major scales down (through practice as well, of course).

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021