1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB flats not fitting through ferrule?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pasta4lnch, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Just put my 1st set of flats on my fender J V. Ernie Ball 45-130 and the "B" didn't fit through the ferrule. I had to peal away a bit of the fuzzy string to get it through.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone? and did I compromise the string by taking away a little layer of the fuzzy string cap?

fwiw this is the 1st set of flats i've ever had on a bass. seems pretty awesome. can't crank the amp up this late but just playing feels like a dream!!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    This isn't uncommon. Taking the silks off of the string won't hurt anything.

Enjoy the thumpy flatwound goodness :bassist:

3. really? I would think they would check for stuff like that . . .

not the end of the world - especially if taking some of the silk off wont mess w/ the string integrity. . . just seemed strange to me.

thanx!

4. Joe Lindley

Joe Lindley

Jun 14, 2007
    This is exactly my problem. I've got another thread today with the same question: TI flats & an Ibanez bass. So thanks for more getting more answers.

5. well - been playing it like crazy, getting ready for a show tomorrow and all seems ok. . .

taking some getting used to for the flats though. cant tell if I love 'em or hate 'em. my left hand is kinda diggin them but my right not so much. fingers are kinda sticking. gonna leave them on for a while to see if I just need to get used to them

6. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I put on my first set of flats onto my 5 String J a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem. I just cut off some of the silk like you did. Haven't had a problem at all. I have a BadAss II on it btw...

7. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    pasta4Inch, try plucking closer to the neck - it will give you more control, speed and thump.