EB MM S.U.B series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 20, 2005.

1. I am looking for a new bass, mid-high range price, and I currently have my heart set on a Warwick 'Vette Standard or FNA.

But, I was browsing BassCentral.com and I cam across the EB MM S.U.B series basses (Sterling and Sting Ray) I have always had a "thing" for MM styled basses, and I have always wanted to play one. I know all about their tonal capabilities, my favorite being exemplified(sp?) by the bassist from Chevelle. He really rips up awesome lines on theses "tone monsters."

But, what about the little brothers/sisters, the S.U.B series??? I have never heard one of these before, but the price definately intrigues me. Would some of you TBers mind indulging me with your experiances with these basses????

Thanks a ton!!!
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think SUBs sound great. I honestly cannot tell the difference a SUB and a two band Stingray. The Sterling will be different because the SUB Sterling has not coil splitting switch. The bodies have no contour and are a bit less comfy than regular Stingrays and Sterling but that is not huge difference. Many will encourage buying a used Stingray for about the same price, which makes sense unless you like new instruments. I would also note that used SUBs and SUBs sold at blowout sales at GC are even cheaper! I picked up a new teal SUB 4 for about $360, I dare someone to find me a SR for that amount unless it is completely beat to death!
  3. If you can find a SUB for under 400 than great but there is a reason why SUB is printed in big letters on the headstock. As in substandard.

As stated by Cabot MD many will encourage used MM SR or Sterling instead. I'm one of them. Spend another few hundred and do it right. That textured paint is B.S.
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I thought s.u.b stood for sports utility bass?
  5. I played a SUb for a few minutes in a shop. I didn't like it at all.

The painting (some structured finish) made it feel like plastic, the pickguard is some very thin metal (which feels like plastic too) and the sound i got from it was plastic as well.

I played it on the same amp and with the same settings as a Sandberg Basic and there was no comparison.
  6. I think the crappy finish and the name sums it up. I just don't want to touch to damn thing. I've played a 4 string and it felt "fine" like any other low ender, but not on par with the better MM instruments. I think the SUB line is a mistake for EB/MM they shouldn't pander to that market, it's glutted.
  7. How about an OLP bass. Isnt that the MM foreign born instrument. that may be better than the SUB.
  8. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i love my SUB - i've had for over a year now...its been thru quite a lot, but its held up
    the main reason is cos of the finish - love it or hate it, it doesnt scratch or smudge or anything - its a tank. and if you dig the stingray tone, you won't be disappointed... :D

9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    face has been excluded for the welfare of others...:)
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dislike the uncontoured body of the SUB. IMO the only thing that can pull that off is a Fender telecaster.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As an SR5 owner, I see nothing substandard about the SUB. It has typical Ernie Ball Musicman build quality. The finish is actually quite practical for a working musician, and the electronics sound great. It looks better than a Modulus Flea bass to me and it's a real Musicman to boot. Finally, BigMikeW needs to check this thread out. Sadowskys never got bashed this hard.
  12. I've had my SUB - 2 band active EQ in teal for about 1 year. It's great bass, although the slab body could be and issue for you (it can get uncomfortable).

It plays really well, and sounds very good - best comparison I had was that it sounded like a pre Ernie Ball Stingray that a friend of mine had.......

The finish is love or hate issue as is the pickguard. The pickguard is th easiest bit to change though! :bassist:
  13. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    These are high-quality american-made instruments.

The electronics in them are the same as in the Stingrays! They sound the same!

MM puts a lot work into their finishes. Using a no-frills finish is a great way to cut the cost. I guess it depends on what you buy a bass for--sound or looks.
  14. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    All of these comments do not apply to the musicman bass's I played in the store. I took a musicman SUB off the shelf and a Stingray and played them both for a good hour, And honestly I found no diffrence in body style or sound. I still prefered the stingray becuase they had the action so friggin high on the SUB and I like the finish better on the stingray. But I would still buy the SUB.

Honestly its not that bad of a bass.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you failed to notice the uncontoured SUB body you probably didnt lookk too hard for differences. I think the paint is fine and i actually kinda dig the painted neck on the SUB but i thnk they should contour the body, even if it meant a slight cost increase.
  16. Ive heard/read over a hundred reviews of the SUB series, never been told, or have known of the things you guys are talking about.

To the best of my knowledge (from what Ive read and have been told) the Sterling/Sting Rays have the exact same body style, pickups, and electronics as the SUB series.

I always thought that a SUB would be a good idea, I'm actually not even leaning on the Sterling side, but completely decided on Sterling over Sting Ray... Which is why waiting for a moderately priced used one will be even harder and longer... Oh well, I have a while to wait until I get that kind of cash anyway.

Right now, I'm mainly looking at BassCentral, and as always, still keeping an eye out on the 'bay. I usually only see Sting Rays on ebay, so I am definately keeping my eyes peeled for a Sterling. I would like to get one with a piezo bridge if that's even possible. (I highly doubt it :( )

I guess I still need to play a Corvette Standard and a Sterling side by side to decide the final answer. For my style of music, I keep reading and being told that Ill be more happier with the MM, but I love that 'Wick growl!!! (BTW, I play hard rock, ie. deftones, godsmacl, seether, shinedown, and all that kinda gill.)

Thanks for all the input, as confused as I am right now, I know I just need to track one down and play it for myself to determine if I like it or not.

(Test list: side-by-side SUB Sterling, Sterling, Sterling w/ piezo, Corvette Standard, Corvette FNA.)

Thanks again, and by all means keep posting if you have anything more to say,
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ The bodies are not the same, not even the same woods.
  18. I am aware of the bodies not being of the same wood, as the SUBs are made of Poplar. I was referrin to the shape and contours of the body, but apparently I was wrong in thinking so anyway.

19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] In this picture you can see that the bodies are flat, no belly contour or arm contour.
  20. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

not trying to be an @ss but really....I agree it might look a little funky not having a forearm or belly cut but I can assure you it didn't make the one I owned uncomfortable. It is the same body style as the 4 string Ray (without forearm or belly cuts). With a good set up (not the stock GC crap set up) these can be great basses....a little bright but that seems to be what alot of players are after these days. I thought the one I owned sounded just like a ray. I found out the ray sound wasn't for me but I couldn't find fault what so ever with fit, finish (however ugly it is) or construction. They are rock solid, no frills, USA made basses.

Do try them before you buy (like any bass)...they most definitely aren't for everyone.