EB MM Stingray: 2 or 3 band EQ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Dec 7, 2003.

Stingray: 2 or 3 band EQ?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2004.
  1. 2 band

9 vote(s)
  2. 3 band

28 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I've checked threads on stingrays and it definitely seems like some people prefer the 2 band EQ, and others say the mids on the 3 band eq are useless anyway.

2. The way I see it, if you decide to switch out the preamp for a three-band one, it's one less hole you have to drill.
  3. The mid control isn't useless at all. When I play Stingrays I find it very useful in helping to cut the bite of the bass for songs where I need to stand out less.
  4. I dont own a Stingray yet, but of the dozen or so i tried i perferred the 3. Mids are great.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Three band is almost definately a must. Even though Roger Sadowsky swears by the two-band, in heavier music you generally need boosted treble to be heard through the mix, and you can really tone it down for lighter music. I've had problems getting a two-band 'Ray to be heard in my metal band.
  6. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Is there anywhere on the net where Roger discusses this? The 2 band EQ adjusts treble and bass but not mids, did you mean to say treble?

I can adjust the mids on my amp anyway if I need to right?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I mean tto say boosted mids and treble. You can boost it on the amp, but I boost on the bass AND the amp.

Roger mentions the advantages to 2 band over 3 band in this article here:

8. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks much for the information. The deal is I have a line on a perfect-but-used 2 band Honeyburst MM Stingray for about CDN$600 less than a new one.

Looks exactly same as this:

I love how it sounds and looks. Should I scoop it up?
  9. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    post. I just figured out how to fix the pic above...
  10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    3 all the way. It doesn't hurt to have it...
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you love it, grab it. I actually have fallen for 3-band Rays. How much is it selling for?
  12. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Converting it to US dollars: US$950.00 including tax. No shipping charges either.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, I snagged my 3 band for $700 + tax...just two dings in the finish and a dirty-ass fretboard. If you love it, grab it, or you could shop around a bit more...you'd probably have to pay shipping but most places it's cheaper than the tax.
  14. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Problem is I live in Canada and UPS shipping/handoff fees plus Customs fees cost me CDN$150-$200 per bass when I got them from the States. It was quite a shock. Also, one of the four basses I have bought on Ebay wasn't in the condition advertised, and the Spector I bought has a gimpy output jack, though the bass itself kicks ass.

At this point, I'd rather try before I buy. This one is in brand new condition with not even a swirl on the back of the body.

Plus I like it's colour scheme. :rolleyes: :D
  15. Hey philthygeezer, I find the price tag of $950 US to be a bit high. I live in Toronto, Ontario, and I snagged a brand new straight from the factory 3-band for $1649 + tax canadian.
  16. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have had more than a handful or both three and two band EQ Stingrays. It is my experience that it is difficult, in a live situation, to tell the difference between the two....and of course, you CAN turn the mids up on your amp's EQ.

I also have a honeyburst, although mine's a Stingray 5.

Sounds like you got yourself a deal there, PhilthyG. I'd jump on it.
  17. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Yeah I've been wrestling with this one. They don't make the 2-banders anymore it seems. I love the sound and feel of the one I tried out.

My final cost would come to CDN$1287 and yours would have cost CDN$1896.35 with taxes figured in. That leaves me saving CDN$609.35 over a brand new one (with debateably lesser EQ), for one that is in new condition. To me this is acceptable, though some would say no.

I think it's boiling down to a bird in the hand that I find adorable vs. one in the bush at some future date. I like the sound of it, and may regret passing it up especially if the 3 band EQ models sound any different. EDIT: I see from above post that it likely won't matter. :)
  18. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I have three 3 band Stingrays and had one 2 band for a short period. I had heard many good things about the 2 band version so I picked one up. I have a few G&Ls, so I'm very used to a 2 band, boost only setup.
    I couldn't get the tones I wanted from the 2 band and I spent some time fiddling with it. It didn't sound the same as any of my 3 bands and I didn't like how it sounded "full up" on the boost, which is often how I run my G&Ls. I messed with it for a week or two then sold it, then bought my third 3 band and I'm very happy with that. I was quite surprised since I'm so comfortable with a 2 band, but the sound wasn't there for me.
  19. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I too have a 3 band and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Call me crazy but I just like to have as many options as I can, and I honestly don't see anyone playing the 2 band Stingrays anymore... but that's all to my ears. If you love the way it plays, sounds and feels buy it bro before someone else does. Just try to mess with them to bring the price down some, tell them you found the same bass in another store for 100 bucks less and see what they'll do, that kinda thing. Congrats on the bass, welcome to the Music Man family bud.
  20. My Stingray (bought it exactly two years ago today:) ) has a 3 band EQ. Unless the circuit on the 3 band is different from the two band, wouldn't leaving the 3 band's mid control flat be the same as a 2 band? :confused:

I've never played a Stingray with a 2 band.