1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB/MM SUB??? Tell me more.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I've been Seriously considering getting a mexican Jazz with the active /noisless set up. Seems to me to be a HUGE bang for the buck. Then ,while sufin' in the 'Bay, I noticed those Ernie Ball/Music Man "SUB's". What the story there. Same thing? Less expensive /import version of the real thing? Tell me more. Definatly closer to my price range. :meh:

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I played one once a while back and liked it. Liked the feel of it better than a few MIM jazz's i've played.

3. I think, (dont quote me here) that they are US made, but not active. They do sound and play pretty decent though. And come in much less garish colors than most musicmen.

4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The SUBs are US made in the same factory and by the same people as the Stingrays and Sterlings. The finish on the body and neck helps to reduce the production time (less polishing, etc.). The total start-to-completion time is much less for the SUB basses.

I've played a SUB 4 & SUB 5 (both active 2-band) and a SUB Sterling. They were all excellent basses, very close in most regards to the 'real thing' (stingray & sterling).

As far as I know, on the SUB 4 and SUB Sterling 4, the pickguards from the standard basses will fit, which gives you some options on how it looks (not everyone loves the SUB pickguard). The ones I had were sporting aftermarket pickguards. Also, on the SUB 5, it has the standard pickguard shape as a Stingray 4 - which some people have been curious about instead of the Stingray 5 pickguard (on a five string). I really like the feel of the painted neck.

I was fortunate to attend the Ernie Ball Open House and factory tour last year. I saw first hand the SUB basses moving down the same production path as the Stingrays and Sterlings, being worked on by the same people. I give them a big thumbs up!!

5. WELL!!!!!!! This is definitly worth a closer look.

6. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I was pretty skeptical at first but I played a couple this weekend and I was very impressed. They felt exptremely solid, played great, and I liked the tone. I messed with the eq a bit and looked for a battery box but couldn't find one.

If the only difference is the finish and passive electronics then I'm sold. I have been leaning towards passive electronics anyways, I'm tired of changing batteries and I would rather do my eq'ing on my amp.

7. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    i tried one of these SUB's out at my local guitar store and for the price it was i would of bought it at that moment (if i had the money). I loved the tone and it had a great feel through out the neck. personally i dont care for the metal pickguard compared to the stingray pickguard but you can probally change it out.

And personally i dont like ANYTHING about any fenders make in mexico i think that they feel too cheap even though ive heard theyre made with the same things as the factory in california. Ive tried out a couple of precussion and jazz basses made in mexico by them and i like the feel of the American made fenders better.

If i were you i would take a further look into those SUB's, and consider it as a possible addition to your collection

nick

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Two different beasts here. The SUB neck felt like I was holding a boat oar next to my Fender jazz MIM. That said, I have heard good things about the SUB but it aint for me.

9. They are two very different instruments. I'm most at home on a jazz. Skinny neck,single coil pickups,etc. I generally prefer passive ,but the MIM Jazz seemed pretty "natural" to me. So many of the active basses are just too "over the top" for me. Now,that MM SUB is COMPLETLEY different. It's heavier(bad for me),Hangs in the strap different,Sounds different(big humbucker), ...........I realize this. And maybe a change is just what I need. And I guess my question has realy already been answered. It was a question of Quality/price. And it seems to be a lot of bass for the money. Another big plus both basses are apparently available in an active or passive version.:cool:

10. The quality of the SUB far outweighs that of a MIM. The SUB uses the same pickup and electronics as the Stingray, the frets are good and the seems all fit togeather. I'm not saying MIM are bad, they are just really hit and miss, play a good 15 of them if you decide to go that way.

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you like a more narrow, jazz-width neck, then take a look at the SUB Sterling. It comes with a 3-band preamp, but doesn't have the series-single coil-parallel switch like a regular Sterling. The neck width is 1.5" at the nut.

The standard SUB (Stingray) is available in either passive or 2-band preamp. You can easily tell if there is a battery compartment on back.

Here is an all black SUB Sterling I had for awhile. It sold for close to $400 used. It has a swapped out pickguard (which I think really looks good)

SUB_sterling_front_01.

12. I played the Stingray SUB 4 string and loved it. Just felt good. Unfortunately, I never played a Stingray, so I cannot compare both. I cant see the Stingray being that much better.

13. Did I read the specs right? Sub's weight almost 10 lbs!? OUCH!