EB:MM vs Lukland 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tone_2501, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Tone_2501

Aug 25, 2004
    Looking of a good all round bass, what are peoples thoughts a music man with piezo option or the Lakland? Which would be more flexible?

I was looking at a sting ray 5 or a lakland 5 body is swamp ash

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    You're going to have to be a bit more specific than "MusicMan" -- that's just the name of the company. Do you mean Bongo? Sterling? Stingray?
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Hey guy It's "L-a-k-l-a-n-d".
    They all vary greatly in tone according to body & fingerboard wood, pups etc.. Be specific about the models you're talking about & we should be able to help.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you're looking for a well rounded bass, I guess you want either a Bongo or 55-94, because a Stingray can only make a Stingray sound, wheras a Bongo or 55-94 can sound like either a single or double coil (depending on which one you get) Jazz Bass or Stingray.
  5. Tone_2501

Aug 25, 2004
    Thanks guys, I was looking at a sting ray 5 or a lakland 5 body is swamp ash
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Mud Flaps is right, I would not use a 1 trick pony as my main bass unless I was writing the songs for it to be played on. Even a peizo will only do so much for you (2 tones as opposed to the 6 or so the other 2 basses will give you).

I had a MM clone, a Pedulla Rapture which had one great tone, and one that was so-so (bright switch). It didn't work for cover rock where my Lakland 55-94 really shines. Does the Lakie make an exact MM sound? No, but close. Can it do a Jazz tone? Close but not exact. How about a P-bass thump? Again, pretty good. It gets pretty gravely when called upon as well. That's why it's my axe of choice.

I expect the Bongo will also work nicely for people who gig and perform various styles.

BTW, I sold the Rapture.