1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB:MM vs Lukland 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tone_2501, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Tone_2501

Tone_2501

Aug 25, 2004
    Looking of a good all round bass, what are peoples thoughts a music man with piezo option or the Lakland? Which would be more flexible?

##Edit
    I was looking at a sting ray 5 or a lakland 5 body is swamp ash

Thanks

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You're going to have to be a bit more specific than "MusicMan" -- that's just the name of the company. Do you mean Bongo? Sterling? Stingray?

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey guy It's "L-a-k-l-a-n-d".
    They all vary greatly in tone according to body & fingerboard wood, pups etc.. Be specific about the models you're talking about & we should be able to help.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you're looking for a well rounded bass, I guess you want either a Bongo or 55-94, because a Stingray can only make a Stingray sound, wheras a Bongo or 55-94 can sound like either a single or double coil (depending on which one you get) Jazz Bass or Stingray.

5. Tone_2501

Tone_2501

Aug 25, 2004
    Thanks guys, I was looking at a sting ray 5 or a lakland 5 body is swamp ash

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Mud Flaps is right, I would not use a 1 trick pony as my main bass unless I was writing the songs for it to be played on. Even a peizo will only do so much for you (2 tones as opposed to the 6 or so the other 2 basses will give you).

I had a MM clone, a Pedulla Rapture which had one great tone, and one that was so-so (bright switch). It didn't work for cover rock where my Lakland 55-94 really shines. Does the Lakie make an exact MM sound? No, but close. Can it do a Jazz tone? Close but not exact. How about a P-bass thump? Again, pretty good. It gets pretty gravely when called upon as well. That's why it's my axe of choice.

I expect the Bongo will also work nicely for people who gig and perform various styles.

BTW, I sold the Rapture.