EB Music Man Sabre question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Dec 29, 2004.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I own one of these, and really like it but I've noticed that on all of the 5-way switch versions, the settings that use the neck pickup are not nearly as loud as the bridge pickup ones. Anyone know why? It kinda takes some of the versatility away since it's not practical to use quieter settings when playing in a band, but I guess there's a logical explanation. The pre-EB Sabres seem to have a hotter neck pickup though.
  2. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have a pre-eb Sabre with the three way switch. No probs for me. Your pickup may need to be rewound or most likey (I have no experience with the 5 way switch Sabre, so I'm just guessing) it is the difference in the circuit when switching to para/series using the switch.
  3. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Have you tried raising the neck pickup? Sometimes it's as easy as that. I know those EB Sabres have 16 small poles, as opposed to the 8 big ones my pre-EB has. That might have something to do with it, too.
  4. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    The EB's have covered pickups so no I don't know how many polepieces there are. But the volume issue I believe is on all EB Sabres (the one other that I've played had the same volume differences) so I think it's intentional - just not sure why.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I used an EB Sabre as my #1 bass for many years. I never noticed a significant volume dropoff with any setting of the 5-way switch. The only minor annoyance was that I'd sometimes get hum when using the two positions where the neck pup was in single-coil mode... but that annoyance certainly wasn't a surprise.

Anyway, try adjusting the pickup heights: raise the neck and/or lower the bridge.
  6. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Thanks everyone. Lowering the bridge pickup all the way down and raising the neck one helped - now they're pretty much matched I think, although I still wonder if the neck pickup would be hotter if it was rewound. Guess there's one way to find out.
  7. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Here's what the neck pickup poles on an EB Sabre look like - neck on the left and a Stingray pup on the right (bridge Sabre pup has poles just like that but is slightly smaller). They are a bit quiter than the bridge pup. Adjusting heights is the best way to deal with it, do you have any experience with rewound pickups? My limited experience has been they are expensive and you don't necessarily get what you want.