1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB Music Man Stingray or Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myth_103, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I've been GASing over these 2 basses for quite some time now. However, I've only had the chance to play through a Music Man. I enjoyed it a lot! But the question is, what are the tone differences between the two? I've heard the Rick is a lot more trebly. I'd assume it's a GOOD trebly though. Anyone had experience with both? Which would be better for rock/punk/metal playing?

2. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I'd like to try a Ric too, to see what everyone is talking about it being trebly. From videos and live show, to me, rics have sounded somewhat 'mid-fatty'. Stingrays sound trebly as hell.

by the yes I know any bass' sound can be changed drastically with eq, strings, fingers, attack and what not but I'm speaking more about their standard or general sound.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Both are much more versatile than they are given credit for. Can't go wrong with either.

I have a theory about Rics; because of that pickup cover (I know that many remove it, bear with me), one's hand is likely to get forced way down toward the bridge, yielding a very bright and trebly sound. Players who like that kind of sound then say, "hey I like Rickenbackers." This is how Rics have ended up becoming stereotyped as a bright bass. It's downright Darwinian. :)

I say go with the one that feels best in your hands. They both cover as much ground sonically as you could want.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    I love the look of the Ric! :hyper: Coolest looking bass ever.

However absolutely nothing about it works for me ergonomically. :bawl::crying:

The feel is far different on those.

Jim

5. Both :D

Seriously, there are quite some rock/punk/metal players using a EBMM StingRay, but I can only think of one player using a Rickenbacker, though an icon for the genre in question: Lemmy.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, they are totally different in feel, aren't they? Rics are sharp and angular, the neck really glossy. Rays are smooth and woody, rounded off, and a tad heavier.

Feel while playing would be my only criteria in deciding; both are great and legendary instruments.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The old Rics had 500k ohm tone pots and a .0047 capacitor the cut the bass response from the bridge pickup ... Even today the 4003 has 2 11k ohm single coil pickups which gives it a single coil bite ...

I say get both basses and spen a few years sorting out which is better ...

8. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I really wish Ric would build a 5 string bass with a 4 band preamp ... now that would be cool ... and rounded edges ...

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I personally would prefer the Rickenbacker, using a Stingray for more pop/jazz/R&B oriented playing (i.e. Paul Denman with Sade, etc.). But that's strictly personal preference - lots of cats use Rays for rock, and it works just great for them... :meh:

My thoughts exactly... :cool:

MM

10. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Well, you cant go wrong with either! It all comes to your own preference. try to play both and see what feels beter in your hands. Sound wise they arent very similar but they're both pretty similar so you wont necessarily regret it!:D

My theory is that in that price range you cant realy go wrong with a bass. It just may not be your top choice.
    but that kind of money deserves top choices.
    so don't compromise

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Eh? :confused:

MM

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I never liked the feel of a Rick. I'd personally get a Stingray with the piezo bridge. :)

13. Definitely the Ric, that is if you have the cash.

14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Rics are cool but a stringray is a better buy ...

15. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Both great basses in their own right, but very different.

The Rick is passive, the 'Ray is active with a 3b EQ (or 2B for the older ones). 'Rays have a more hi fi active tone and more tonal tweaking capabilities with the 3b EQ, and are in no way less trebly than Ricks. (turn the treble all the way up on a 'Ray and it's downright piercing). Ricks get pigeonholed as being trebly because a few of their most prominent players, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, had a biting overdriven trebly tone. But listen to McCartney and his fat tubby Rick tone and you can see that it's a much more versatile instrument than the trademark treble tones it's commonly known for. So if you don't want treble, just roll the treble off.

16. Some people do have strong negative opinions on both- I don't agree with them.... but you might. So make sure you get used to both of them b4 buying

I tend to gig my Ric more than my Musicman but if I was playing metal I'd be reaching for the MM. HOWEVER - and this could be the deciding factor - Chicks dig Rics.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I love the way Ricks look and sound... when someone else is playing them. I find them to be very uncomfortable and I've never been able to make one sound good (could be bad luck in Ricks, only played about 4 or 5, owned 2 of those). My advice is make sure you get to spend some time with one before buying it.

18. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I currently own a Stingray and a 4003. I've had quite a bit of experience with both. IMO, the Stingray is a versatile, bright, comfortable, high-output bass that has the capability of really cutting-through the mix. The 4003 is a raw-sounding, unique, complex-toned, workhorse that always sits very comfortably in the mix. While Stingrays are amazing for slapping and tapping, Rics rule the picked-tone and aggressive finger styles. Really, you can't go wrong with either. However, these two are very different animals and deserve to be played before being purchased.

19. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    My '78 4001 was a true workhorse. It was always put away wet and dirty and begged for more the next day. Actually took a flight of stairs once on it's face, a switchback no less while pugged in and remained in tune (do I need to mention a drummer was involved?). Playability was awesome, once you remove the PU cover, you've got this beautiful pocket to anchor your thumb no matter how much jumping around you do. It's a great stage beast. The stereo output gives you some great options for tone.

Not knocking the Ray, I have no experience with them, but intend to try them when I get a chance. I was never a P or J guy back in the metal days, so the original MMs didn't interest me.

20. :confused:

A MM StingRay is neither a P nor a J. But it likes to eat the first for breakfast and smoke the other afterwards.... :ninja: