Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EB MusicMan Inquiry (all models)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whacker, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Howdy, fellow players! I've been playing a StingRay 5 for a few years, mainly fingerstyle, and when doing so I had been using it in series mode (selector switch up - toward neck). When gettin' slap-funky, I would switch to the parallel mode (selector switch down - toward bridge) for the infamous scooped-mid StingRay sound, which, if you play the four string version, is the only configuration available. My question is, how many of you who play either the SR 5 or the Sterling actually use the series setting for anything at all (perhaps even with extreme EQ settings), because I'm finding myself leaning toward just going with the parallel setting for nearly everything (although I can get a pretty good single coil sound with the middle switch position, playing near the bridge). The parallel setting seems like a much more natural, useful tone, in general, and is much more defined in a live band setting. Comments?

2. i must admit, i use the parallel setting 80% of the time. the rest of the time i use the middle setting (single coil) when i would like more bite fingerstyle.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mine stays in parallel mode most of the time, although I really should experiment with the other settings. I tend to get in a rut...