1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB Regular Slinky 50-105

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Roda, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Roda

Roda

Jun 18, 2006
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Anyone else using this set? I bought 'em a few days ago, and today I took my bass to a tech to set it up (I'm no good at it). So, when I told him what gauge I put on, he told me that the set I bought is imbalanced; that the D and G strings will put much more tension on the neck than the E and A strings. They (D & G) do feel a bit tighter, but it wasn't something I would have paid attention to if the tech hadn't told me. But the thing that puzzles me is that, if the set really is imbalanced tension-wise, why is it being packaged and sold? Or is that guy just saying nonsense? The bass is an Ibanez GSR 200, btw.

So, what are your experiences with this set?

2. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    The closest I come is on my P-Bass I use EB Hybrid Slinky 45-105...and I LOVE THEM sound-wise.

Sorry but I've never dealt with the "balance" issue you mention.

Cant wait to hear what others have to say....

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I use it on my 60's Jazz reissue. After i put my string on, i need a setup badly because i my bass was strung with labella flats before and now the action is high after i put these EB slinky on. Probably messup the action when putting the strings.

I don't find it unbalance in turn of sound. It give me all the punch i need from the bass.

But i still not sure about the tension stuff you was saying, probably someone will know more in here.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The EB Slinky 50-105 is my 'go-to' string. Been using them for 20+ years with no problems. I love them because they give the notes on D & G strings a weight that other sets don't. For 5 string basses I just add a .130 to the 50-105 set. YMMV

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Typically, most sets have D & G strings that are higher in tension, than the E & A strings.

6. I use them on my fretless. Seem fine to me, although I'm thinking of switching to D'Addarios on both of my basses, as the EB sets don't quite get the sound I want.

7. Roda

Roda

Jun 18, 2006
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yeah, that's what I had in mind when I was buying them.

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

That same set, should be in my mailbox by next week.:D

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I love Slinky's. I use them on all my basses now.