EB scrolled head?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JTGale, Jan 12, 2006.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title. A guy asked me the other day for an example of a scrolled pegbox on an electric bass. And, for the life of me, I can't find ANY examples. He has a beautiful piece of ebony he wants turned into a neck with pegbox for a bass project. I can picture what he wants and I can draw it, but are there some pics out there of ones who have tried it? And BTW, how difficult would it be to carve ebony? I have never tried it ...

2. Ebony carves well but it will take some very sharp tools and a bulging bicep for the task. Personally, I would carve it with a mototool and rotary rasps instead of traditional chisels.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Those are stunning. Like a classical instrument, but a modern electric bass. I might have to take a second mortgage... wow...
  5. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Adding that smiley after the link makes it unuseable.

I can't possibly imagine how headstock heavy a scroll from ebony would be!

6. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks for the responses.

Some of these look like what I was thinking of, others more like what the guy described to me that he wanted. He was talking about a fairly tight and flat version (kinda like the Ampeg example, I guess). I was thinking more along the lines of a double bass look with a scarffed pegbox to improve the strength of the head since the there is so much removal of stock. And as for weight, I wonder if all wouldn't be OK since you would remove a lot of the wood in the middle of the pegbox. Anyway, I will show him the examples posted. I am sure that we will be able to figure it out from these. Thanks again!

Now, time to go pump up my biceps! :D