Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EB Slinkies

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by flury, May 31, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    How are these strings? I dont know which kind to buy. The super slinkies seem perfect. Just need some insight, thanks.

2. I use a pair of EB Slinkies on my Ibanez Musician bass and they sound the best of any I've put on them. I have an older set that came with the bass thats god knows how old, and a newer set. I prefer the older set, nice deep sound with almost no fret clankage.

3. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    thanks, ill give them a try. :D

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    very nice strings with plenty of zing... a bit too much for me. they last a reasonably long time and have a fair but not uncomfortable amount of tension.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've used Slinkies on most of my basses. (The only other strings I use are the black DRs, but honestly, it's for the look :smug: .) I put Power Slinkies (55-75-90-110) on my 4 stringer because I was going to tune down in my band, but I like them so much at standard tuning. I just love the tension, although it is more than on most basses I've played. I agree that they're a bit bright for a while, but after about 2 weeks, they settle in to a great, thick tone with plenty of bite.

They are reasonably priced and do last for quite a while. I'd say give 'em a try. :)

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    These have lots of zing and are bright strigns.

Cheers

7. i have tried many different strings but i always go back to the slinkies. they stay in tune and i love their tone.

8. I love EB Slinkies... when they actually last. I always seem to break my E string, especially with EB strings. I'm tempted to try a new make of strings, but after reading this thread I think I'll just stick with Power Slinkies :smug:

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Sorry......

I really hate these strings. I go by the old rule:

When I buy a new set, first I break in the strings, then I let them sit overnight. For any good set of strings, these will prevent them from breaking for at least two months.

When I used to use EB's, they would honestly break the day after I bought them. And their sounds not that hot either.

That's why I can't live without my Lo-Riders. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

10. Low Riders are nearly £10 more than EB strings from where I buy my strings :( I can't really afford expensive strings at the moment.
    I think I'm gonna try some heavy elite stadium strings (50, 70, 90, 110) next time, unless anyone can suggest any others? I need something really durable with punch, I've just joined a thrash band and they play really fast riffs. I need something that can withstand my heavy finger picking!

11. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i just bought a set of EB regulars.

seem very nice.

(ive been playing the same strings for almost a year now :()

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd reccomend using EB strings. They're cheap and of great quality, especially for the price tag.

I still don't get how people break these things so easily though...

13. Hmmm... do they have that terrible silk on the ends of them? I really hate that stuff. Seeing the set I would use is a 100-80-65-45, are the top two flexible? Do they do custom sets? I'm used to my 60-40 for the top end :eyebrow:

14. What about Labella Hard Rockin' Steels? These similar/with or wthout silks?

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Not to be negative but, well......... ok what the heck, Worst strings I have ever used

16. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No silk ends and no custom sets. I think you would do fine with 65-45 for the top end, or you could go with Extra Slinkys: 40 60 70 95.

seansbrew, why are they the worst string you've ever used?

17. Whoa a 70 for an "A"? Crazy.

18. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    i dont use them but they are popular.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If they seem perfect, use 'em! If they don't, try again. It's all personal taste.

I stopped using Slinkies after breaking three strings in a month out of different packs bought from different stores, telling me it's a design issue that can't hold up to my playing style. I'm using Markley NPS Roundcores and Labella Hard Rockin' Steels these days.