1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB Slinkies

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by flury, May 31, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    How are these strings? I dont know which kind to buy. The super slinkies seem perfect. Just need some insight, thanks.

2. I use a pair of EB Slinkies on my Ibanez Musician bass and they sound the best of any I've put on them. I have an older set that came with the bass thats god knows how old, and a newer set. I prefer the older set, nice deep sound with almost no fret clankage.

3. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    thanks, ill give them a try. :D

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    very nice strings with plenty of zing... a bit too much for me. they last a reasonably long time and have a fair but not uncomfortable amount of tension.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've used Slinkies on most of my basses. (The only other strings I use are the black DRs, but honestly, it's for the look :smug: .) I put Power Slinkies (55-75-90-110) on my 4 stringer because I was going to tune down in my band, but I like them so much at standard tuning. I just love the tension, although it is more than on most basses I've played. I agree that they're a bit bright for a while, but after about 2 weeks, they settle in to a great, thick tone with plenty of bite.

They are reasonably priced and do last for quite a while. I'd say give 'em a try. :)

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    These have lots of zing and are bright strigns.

Cheers

7. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Great strings.

8. i have tried many different strings but i always go back to the slinkies. they stay in tune and i love their tone.

9. I love EB Slinkies... when they actually last. I always seem to break my E string, especially with EB strings. I'm tempted to try a new make of strings, but after reading this thread I think I'll just stick with Power Slinkies :smug:

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Sorry......

I really hate these strings. I go by the old rule:

When I buy a new set, first I break in the strings, then I let them sit overnight. For any good set of strings, these will prevent them from breaking for at least two months.

When I used to use EB's, they would honestly break the day after I bought them. And their sounds not that hot either.

That's why I can't live without my Lo-Riders. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. Low Riders are nearly £10 more than EB strings from where I buy my strings :( I can't really afford expensive strings at the moment.
    I think I'm gonna try some heavy elite stadium strings (50, 70, 90, 110) next time, unless anyone can suggest any others? I need something really durable with punch, I've just joined a thrash band and they play really fast riffs. I need something that can withstand my heavy finger picking!

12. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i just bought a set of EB regulars.

seem very nice.

(ive been playing the same strings for almost a year now :()

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd reccomend using EB strings. They're cheap and of great quality, especially for the price tag.

I still don't get how people break these things so easily though...

14. Hmmm... do they have that terrible silk on the ends of them? I really hate that stuff. Seeing the set I would use is a 100-80-65-45, are the top two flexible? Do they do custom sets? I'm used to my 60-40 for the top end :eyebrow:

15. What about Labella Hard Rockin' Steels? These similar/with or wthout silks?

16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Not to be negative but, well......... ok what the heck, Worst strings I have ever used

17. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No silk ends and no custom sets. I think you would do fine with 65-45 for the top end, or you could go with Extra Slinkys: 40 60 70 95.

seansbrew, why are they the worst string you've ever used?

18. Whoa a 70 for an "A"? Crazy.

19. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    i dont use them but they are popular.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If they seem perfect, use 'em! If they don't, try again. It's all personal taste.

I stopped using Slinkies after breaking three strings in a month out of different packs bought from different stores, telling me it's a design issue that can't hold up to my playing style. I'm using Markley NPS Roundcores and LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels these days.