EB Slinky cobalt flats... how am I only discovering these now?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Jul 14, 2019.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    So I’ve recently discovered probably one of the most exciting strings recently, the Slinky cobalt flatwounds by Ernie Ball. I’ve listened to a few reviews/demos on YT and they sound great! (I’ll post a link later of this one guy in particular, fantastic playing and fantastic sound! .)

Anyway, I am yet to try these strings out, but they seem to be the right path for what I’m after, I’m hoping! Im after a nice smooth sound with a punchy midrange. I like the feel and sound of flats, for their warm punch, but they lack definition and presence, but then rounds get zingy. But these strings seem to fall dead centre between the smoothness of a flat and the grit of a round. You can even slap on them!

These strings will be going on my Player series Fender Jazz Bass, maple neck. So I’m very sure that I’m gonna buy these strings. I hope I like them. The nice purple silk is really cool too, a nice alternative to red or black, that really makes it pop. (It’s the little things that please me :laugh:)

I want these strings to last, and I’ve heard that they last well, but there have been many reports on the strings breaking easy. Many reports! And a few reports of dull A strings. I wanted to find out if this is still an ongoing issue with EB or if they have managed to correct this unusual issue.

Thing is if they are as good as I hope, I’ll still go out and buy more sets if I break a string. Theyll be my go to string.

Anyone who can further share some experience of these strings that would be great!

(Also was considering DR pure blues nickel roundwounds but they are not easily accessible to me in my city. But the EB slinky flats are. If anyone else out there has any other recommendations for alternative string options, similar to a warm mid punch tone of cobalt flats or pure blues, that would be great)

2. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia

Incredible! :D

3. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I stumbled upon them looking for retail flats for my 80's Japanese P-bass. Great string. I don't have a ton of experience with flats, but find these more supple than Chromes or with Rotosound 88.

I got the 45-100 set, so the A and E are comparatively a little light. It was a compromise, not quite the gauges I wanted, but I've adjusted.

You really should try them. I find them capable of everything from a classic flatwound thump, to a quite bright and funky tone when you dig in and max the tone knob. They even sound quite good slapped.

Low Crow and RumbleMan3 like this.
  4. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I’ve been using a set now for a few months and am absolutely in love with them too. I had them on a different bass and when I got my Warwick, I moved them over to it. They just sound and feel “right” to me. Going to take something special to make me change these.

5. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Gave them a try about six months ago, and now I don’t want to play anything else. They have successfully infiltrated all but one of the basses in my collection (the exception being the bass that doesn’t warrant the investment of new strings right now).

Just a couple of caveats: those silk wraps on the ball end, while classy and upright bass-like, make a hard fit on some bridges. And if you can possibly help it, don’t cut them—the nature of the construction makes the outer wrapping uncoil like a spring.

MCF and RumbleMan3 like this.
  6. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Are you able to elaborate?

7. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I accidentally hit “post” prematurely. I finished my comments in an edit.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Best flats ever IMO. I've had them on three basses and had no breakage or dullness problems.

Low Crow and RumbleMan3 like this.
  9. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Recently bought a set of these, planning on trying them on my Jack Casady. I am hoping they are a good match.

tindrum and InnerBass like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

There are two areas of concern for me with Cobalt:

1 - rust (the set I had developed rust spots at every low fret, from about 7 to 1)

2 - their Cobalt alloy seems to be harder than Stainless Steel alloys in other strings
    I wore down the edges on a V-Pick very quickly on some Cobalt Rounds on a guitar:

This pick was previously in perfect condition, even after use on stainless & nickel rounds.
    Look at the sides of the pick on either side, at the top.

11. Skillet

Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I tried em. Sold them with 20 minutes of play time here in the classifieds. They felt sticky to me. Back to my beloved Dunlops for moi.
    Different strokes....

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I’m using them on a new Stingray and really like the tone and feel. I’ve never liked Chromes and these are a great, bright alternative.

PhinDog, Low Crow and waynobass like this.
  13. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    My favorite strings!!

Low Crow likes this.
  14. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    I love them on my EBMM SR

PhinDog likes this.
  15. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I used them on a lark in the attempt to tamp down an overly bright bass, they sounded phenomenal. They're on almost all my basses now. Greatest strings I've ever used. They bring out the best qualities in every bass I put them on and I've been a dedicated round wound player pretty much since I first picked up a bass.

ColdEye, Low Crow, El Thumpo and 4 others like this.
  16. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    I hated them. But, if you’re into rounds and want to lessen finger noise, I could see the appeal.

mouthmw and Mammoth_Bass like this.
  17. Sounds interesting. However, these strings sound to bright to my personal taste.

18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Just got a set 45-100 for my stingray. Not a flats sound guy at all but I can't get enough of these. Amazing

Low Crow and tindrum like this.
  19. I put them on my fretless. Though I am not too familiar with flats, they seem nice. Sound good anf good tension. I'm not getting much mwah but I think that is a setup issue

20. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    I like them on hollowbody basses - a lot :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022