EB Stingray, not a tech problem but a confilict of morels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dangerkirk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    i had no idea where to post this but it involves a bass of mine so i figured it would be a good place.

i recently bought a Sting Ray for $250, off of the former bassist of my current guitar players old band (what a mouth full). the pre-amp was all unplugged and i had to get it fixed so it cost me an over all 300.

i've played it often and just can't get a feel for it and have been debating on selling it. but today i am informed that if i wish to sell it the former bassist would like to buy it back for no more than 300. now, i basically saved this bass from becoming a large pile of broken wood at his hands, but am i wrong for not wanting to sell it back for 0 profit, to a guy who won't appreciate it, and wanting to find someone who will?

some one help me?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Seeing as he sold it, I dont feel he has any say as far as what happens to it now. The only way he will get it back is to pay the proper price.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I agree with Figjam UNLESS... When he sold it to you, did he say something like, "If you ever decide to get rid of this, I'd like to buy it back"?

I bought a Jack Casady from a friend of mine one time. He gave me a great deal on it. But he did say he'd like the first shot if I ever sold it. I had no problem with that at all. I actually did decide to sell it after about a year. I was going to give it to him for exactly what I paid for it. Turned out that by then, he did not want to buy it back; but I definitely wanted to honor his request.

4. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    he never said that, he did say he was quitting music for good

5. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    You are not obligated morally, legally, or some third thing, to sell your bass to anyone for any price other than what you think it's worth! Unless there's more about this guy you haven't explained- like he had to sell it for $250 to pay for a kidney transplant, or to save his dying so-and-so, I'd say he's outta luck!

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Tell the guy he can buy it back at fair market price. You paid for a broken base and he will pay for a working bass.

7. It's yours. Do what you want with it.

8. PS — a "morel" is a mushroom.

9. you should sell it for the price that will make you happy to part with it. you are the owner. the former owner has no say... this is fair.

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    This one's easy, all the previous posts are correct-unless you previously agreed to sell it to him at a certain price, you have ZERO responsibility to sell it back to him for the price HE wants to give you.
    He didnt hire you to fix it for him, he sold it to you. As the present owner, you can choose the price and he can choose to meet your price, or not.

Dont be bullied-its literally out of his hands!!!

FYI-yes, I am a lawyer!

11. silverburst

silverburst Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Was it growler?

Anyway, do you consider this guy a friend? If so, then do the right thing.

12. +1

I'd sell it to someone who actually wants one. At the appropriate price.

I bet he will buy it off you for 300 then sell it later for a profit.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IK now what you mean, these two morels have been in conflict for weeks now. I hear that litigation will quickly ensue:

[​IMG]

:D

14. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1

15. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    ... with a very high fair-market price. :D

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Just throwing this in - how often do you actually get back the money you spend on a bass? (Exception: Vintage basses in excellent condition).

Of course you're not obligated to sell it to him, but unless you would get significantly more money for it if you sell it to someone else, I'd sell it back to him for 300 and have one more friend instead of one who might think you're an ***hole, no matter how false that statement would be.

17. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    You could expect to get your money back when the price was severely undervalued, as it was in this case, and you put money in it to bring it back to working condition.

Besides, what's the value of this guy's friendship if he's willing to guilt you into selling back the bass to him at the price he's demanding?

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Don't sell it back, I'll give you $400.

19. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Keep the bass, you might find a good use for it. Your friend might have stopped playing music again in a while, so it'd be a waste to sell it.

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    That was sort of what I said too in the second paragraph.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021