1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB Super Slinkys vs. Dr-Hi Beams for playing Metal.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Which are better strings for playing metal? Tone wise mainly.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Are we talking stainless steel Slinkies here or the nickel plated ones ? If stainless, they would both probably work just as well. The DR Hi-Beams are extremely bright and articulate. That would be my pick.

3. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    My guess would be High Beams

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If I were in the audience, I don't think I could tell the difference. Strings to me are a lot about Feel and how I hear them speak personally.

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    This is strictly opinion, but Hi-Beams eat every other SS roundwound for breakfast. Clarity, big harmonics, smoother feel, a little slack on the fretting hand while still having enough resistance on the picking hand. TONE. And they last for AGES.

And yes, this is coming from a metal perspective. Progressive death metal, in the vein of Opeth, Death and Isis. They work wonderfully in that context, because of the extreme articulation needed at some points.

6. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    DR Hi-beams fo sho. They are my favorite round-wound ever.

EDIT: Not to sound biased, but really. Try them. Seriously.

7. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I play metal with my main band and I use DR Sunbeams because I prefer nickel. Guess what my SS choice would be... :)