1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB Volume pedal is suddenly making noise....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D-Bone, Oct 13, 2006.

1. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I've used this pedal for many years. It's the old style one with the ins/outs on the right side. EB has also modified this version a few times over the years. Until now, I've had no issues with it. But all of a sudden, it makes noise when it's in any position other than WOT or completely off. I haven't been using the board much over the past 2-3 months, due to my health. I've been using the Pandora to "wood-shed." So I'm thinking it might have just set and oxidized inside or that big pot went bad altogether.

It's built like a TANK. Should I opt for a new one with all the improvement up-dates, rebuild it, or just go get a new one altogether? I feel sure it's savable, but is it really worth the $$$ and trouble to fix? I never have liked it having that "string on a pulley" system, to move the pot anyway.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It surely is fixable. But if you don't feel like fixing it yourself, there are plenty of people on Ebay looking for bargains on gear that needs repair. So you can sell it (clearly describing the noise issue), and put the money toward a new one.

3. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    The hinge-pin in this Pedal is as thick as a 454 V8 piston's wrist-pin! It looks like you'd need at least a 30 ton press, just to get it out and back in there. The Aluminum body appears to be about 3/8" thick as well. It is by far, the heaviest thing on my pedal board. Besides, I'm not sure most luthiers will have anything to get it out this big, just lying around in a guitar shop. This would have to be done by a machine shop after the repair was done. Then there's that "string & pulley" issue........