EB vs. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Lakland 44-02

17 vote(s)
  2. MM Stingray

10 vote(s)
  3. G&L L-2000

7 vote(s)
  4. Other (explain)

8 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Looked around and couldn't find a thread like this, so here we go. Not having the ability to try out anything nicer than MIM Fenders where I live, I was wondering if I could be enlightened on a dilemma I have. I'm lookin for a new 4 stringer, ~1000-1300 dollars. Two that stick out in my mind right now are the Lakland 44-02 and a Stingray with the 3 band EQ. I really love the Stingray sound and was wondering if the Lakland could have the same growl with its MM pickup. I also am open to any other suggestions you guys can come up with. I'll probly have a max price of 1500. I'm thinking the lakland may be a little more versitile with the second pickup. If anyone is from the east North Carolina area, any help on locating a large music store that might have some of these, it would be much appreciated.

Also I'm now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my QSC 850 power amp and Ampeg SVP-CL. I'll drop a few lines in one of the SVP-CL threads upon their arrival. I plan on running these through a Schroeder 1212. Any comments?

Thanks for any advice
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling :)
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    We should vote...

Lakland 1

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

With the stock Bartolini electronics, no. That bridge pickup looks like a MM, bit it is actually a double J pickup under a MM cover.

With the optional(costs extra) Duncan Basslines pickups and preamp, it sounds very close to a Stingray. It might not nail it 100%, but it gets closer than a Sterling.
  5. interesting, i didnt know that about the lakland PU. where would you get a lakland with the basslines PU. Ill sacrifice the exact sound of a stringray if its more versitile. I play in several praise and worship bands, but the bass will also be used in some heavier stuff (think chevelle type stuff). Hope that tidbit of info helps. thanks for your help.
    BTW-how much is the basslines upgrade?
  6. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd say Lakland all the way!
  7. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    You're deciding between two awesome basses. I would say that the Lakland is more versatile of the two, but if you love that Stingray tone... get the 'Ray. Both are top notch, incredibly made basses which will give you many years of enjoyment.
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ???? I've never heard this before. Where'd you get this info? At least on my 55-02 it doesn't really sound like 2 J's under one cover to me, tho I'd have to A/B it with a MM to really tell what diffs there are, which I have not done.
  9. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis

I agree whole heartedly! I just sold my 44-02 and my 3band EQ 'Ray. There is no way on Earth the Lakland can sound like the 'Ray (I have not heard the basslines in the Lakland) but the fact is the MM PU is different and is in a different position (which makes a ton of difference) If you want that sound, get the Stingray, if you want versatility, get the Lakland.

10. ewarren88

ewarren88 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2002
    Medina, OH
    I recently picked up a CD for $7.50 from Ebay that compares the 5-string Ray to the 55-02 w/Bartolinis. It was a nice demonstration of different tones. I'm sure if you're interested you can find it - it came up every time I searched for "Lakland."

Of course, I don't know that it's fair to extrapolate that CD to the four-string versions. I understand that there are some differences between the Ray 4 and 5, although I never cared to investigate them. Might be something like that on the Lakland side too.

I personally decided that the 55-02 did a close enough impersonation for my purposes, since I liked a lot of the other sounds coming out of it. But it's obvious hearing them back-to-back that there is a difference.

For what it's worth, I was also considering a G&L L2500. The four string version is the L2000.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How did you think a split coil works?
  12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I thought all MM's could be split like that! Admittedly, I've never had a MM pickup'd bass before, and all the MM's I've played, I don't recall what the switch/preamp layout was.

BTW, I've had soapbar humbuckers with coil split/inverters before and you can do the same thing with those if you want. Keep in mind ALL humbuckers are just two single coils under one hood, and if the pickup manufacturer chooses to tap both pickups all the way out, you can do this with any humbucker.
  13. could some of you guys that have had the lakland describe its sound in any way?

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    IMHO, I'd say somewhere between a MM and a Fender PJ tone-wise with a modern punchy edge. Bright, but not brittle highs, deep full lows, and plenty of focused mid punch to cut thru any mix.
  15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  16. mmm...sounds yummy, clip sounds good also, thanks.

I'm starting to to get really confused now, they both are great sounding. Gonna beat the local guys into submission so they'll start carrying nicer stuff.
  17. and now with the addition of a poll, maybe we can get more input.
  18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Neither. I'd get a Lakland Darryl Jones with a J-retro preamp, which is exactly what I've ordered and am anxiously awaiting! :hyper:
  19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'd keep my eyes open for a great used bass. I know a guy just bought a Ken Lawrence Unity 4 for less than $1500! Also, if you like the Lakland - you should be able to get a 55-94 in that range if you only want a basic model.

Dan K.
  20. whats the diff between the 4-94 and 44-02? I'm talkin basic models, I'm not so concerned with it havin a expensive top on it. just want to make all others envious of my sound.