1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eb0 2-point bridge tension issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cervusflies, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Hello all,

I've got a 69' eb0 that I've had for a couple of years now that has always felt like it's about to fall apart. It feels so nice. The short scale fits perfectly.

Recently, in an attempt to get rid of all the rattles and buzzes that I could, I took everything I could take off with screws off and cleaned, tightened, checked and put back together. In doing so, I had to remove all the strings. Now when I re-string it the bridge leans WAY forward with the tension. I tried a couple of tweaks on the adjustment bars to no avail. I'm pretty sure this is the original bridge as it has the felt mute switch.

Any advice on how to re-string and get the bridge to remain level would be greatly appreciated, as tomorrow is ROCK NIGHT.

Ves

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    there are two set screws at the back of the bridge that are supposed to lock it to the posts to prevent tilting. try tightening them up and see if that helps. you'll need a small allen wrench to turn the set screws but I don't know what size.
    if that doesn't work, some guys stick a shim under the front part of the bridge to keep it level.

3. That seems to be the problem. Those tiny allen screws. Those little guys are gonna take the bulk of all of that tension? I hope so. I got a different guage string to put on as well. A lighter guage. Fender short scales to be exact.

I also took some rubber gum eraser and created a wedge for the front side of the bridge. Maybe that will make the allens job a bit easier? I would still like to know how I got that bridge so out of whack!

Thanks Aquateen.
    MY NAME IS....

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    unless the studs or set screws are worn down, it should be fine. I have a '72 EB-3 that's never given me any trouble in regards to the bridge tilting. many people just don't know to loosen the set screws before trying to raise or lower the studs, which is what causes the problem. if I had to deal with this issue, I'd install a tailpiece to correct it. Allparts sells a 3-pt bridge that includes a tailpiece.

BB_0333-001.

can't see the bridge because of the cover, but here's my EB-3. there's plenty of room for the tailpiece.

eb-3.

numba one in the hood, G ;)

5. Yep, that was the problem, they were loose. I put the strings on and tightened up the allens and viola! It seems to have a slight lean forward, so I left the rubber wedges in. Why not. I used Fender short-scale strings so the bass will probably explode in the middle of the night.
    2up.
    Thanks, Fry-man.

6. Weaponofdoom

Weaponofdoom

Nov 20, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    I have a 70's Kay K-2B (basicallly a short-scale SG copy) I received for free that I want to put one of these 3 point bridges on it to keep the vintage feel (I'm in the middle of a restore). Before I stain and seal it I'm assuming I'm going to have to drill some pretty serious holes for the screw mounts correct? Anyone installed on of these on a bass that doesn't already have the mounts? I just want to make sure I make a huge mistake by drilling a bunch of holes and figure out there's a better solution/bridge for the job.