Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EB0 or EB3 gahh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, Feb 17, 2006.

1. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall,
    in the market for another bass to play with along side my Fender P/J. I have been pondering it for a very long time now. Lookin for suggestoins on wich to go for...the Epiphone Elitist EB-3 (very nice epi imo) or a vintage 60/70's Gibson EB-0? Cant afford a vintage EB3 my price range doesnt go over 800 really. Im set on a Gibson EB, just dont know wich one. I play Classic rock, lots of punk (yes, we are minutemen inspired), and lots of blues in my spare time.

Im leaning toward the vintage Gibson EB0

tanks,
    JJ:bassist:

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'd go with the Epi Elite EB3. It'd be alot clearer, build would most likely be better and its full scale I believe. The old EB-O's are mud machines

3. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    good Lord, yall are friggan TB whores. haha ok, thanks man. Anyone else?

4. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    i tihnk im still leaning to teh EB-0 a bit. I heard a clip of one, truly amazing

5. A few years back, I gigged for a year or so with 60's EB-0 in a blues band. I found it to be a mud generator. I'd go with the long-scale EB-3 if I were you. You'll have a lot more tone options if you do.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat!

7. When I switched from g/tar to bass about 35 years ago :eek: my first bass was a EB0. I then graduated to a EB3. Both were genuine Gibsons ... and how I wish I still had them now.

From (a fading!) memory the EB3 was something of a telegraph pole to play: the neck was V thick and fat. OK, 35 years on, I might view it differently but that's how it seemed at the time.

In fact, I'd quite like to have a try on a Gibbo again.

John

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I dropped into my local guitar shop today and lo and behold they had a regular Epi EB3. It was pretty sweet, it neck dived like crazy though. Scale was full length and the neck was pretty damn skinny, pretty much Geddy Lee jazz skinny which caused some problems for my hand. The pickup selector switch didn't really do much for the sound but I was able to find about 3 usuable tones after fiddling with all the knobs (amp was set flat). The EB3 is probably more versatile than the Epi Thunderbird but the sound was weak to my ears.

So in closing, even the regular Epi EB-3 is sweet.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cool!!! I presume that it's along the lines of "if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it.."

10. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1. I definetally agree. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

That's probably true also. Does anybody know how much it costs?

11. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    damn, i really like that. haha d oi hear 750-800? lol

12. A Very good option!!!

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    The Epi Elitist EB-3 is a SHORT SCALE bass:30-1/2".
    On sale at Musicians Friend right now. 699 IIRC.

14. for your own sake DONT GET THE EB0, i played them at a GC once and they were terrible, heavy as hell, the neck pickup sounded like complete crap, terrible neck dive. thats just me though, could be your cup of tea

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've been gasing for a EBO- EBO 3 style bass.
    The Ephiphone long scale is nice for the money.
    The Elite is a copy of the EBO 3. Short scale.
    Gibson has also making a new run of EBO 3's.
    Made just like the basses from the 60's.
    Short scale.
    The original EBO's were mud machines.
    Thick, fat, and distorted.
    If you can find a EBOL there good.
    Big money now?

16. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    go with the vintage eb0. Nothing against the epiphone (I have an Epi eb0 and a '66 Gibson eb3), but nobody makes them like they used to, even gibson. yes, the vintage mudbucker takes getting used to, but if you can live with the sound, why not? comparing my epi eb0 and the old eb3, the eb3 has a nicer, slimmer neck and a better overall body shape. much nicer to play, and overall build quality is much higher. also, the epi has pretty bad neck dive. the old gibson's balance is PERFECT.