1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB0 Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shodan, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    I have a late sixties/early seventies EB0. It has seen better days and has gone through two refinishes. When the last one was finished, I couldn’t get the electrics to work. Thinking that the controls portion had finally given up I acquired all new pots and caps and rebuilt the controls per a Gibson schematic. When this didn’t work, I investigated the original controls and found that they didn’t match the Gibson schematic. So I created another set of controls that matched the original. They don’t work either. Now I’m wondering if the humbucker has bit the dust. Can anyone tell me what sort of signal I should get directly out of the pickup when a tuning fork is pointed at it? I don’t want to keep hooking up and installing the electrics to see if it works.

2. CLIFF BURTON :bassist:

Oh sorry. Please continue.

3. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    As this is an ordinary passive pickup, you can connect it directly to a jack soket and plug it into an amp. No other circuitry is needed. Some people have their instruments wired like this permanently, because they only use one 'sound' and dial in their EQ on the amp. If it's working, you'll get its full-strength signal. If not, it'll soon be obvious!

If the pickup is faulty, it may be fixable. It largely depends on whether the innards are potted in wax or not. If they're potted, there's no way of getting at the windings. Also, keep in mind that the cost of repair might be more than the cost of a replacement pickup, so unless you have a passion for vintage gear, it might not be worth the bother.

4. First you should check the pickup to see if it working as has been mentioned already. This can be done by connecting the pickup directly to the output jack or by checking its DC resistance with a multimeter.

Assuming that it is dead, any good pickup restorer should be able to fix it. Getting potting wax out of an old pickup is not hard to do at all. If your pickup guy can't figure that trick out find a new pickup guy because he is an amature.

Now epoxy... that another story. But this pickup isn't potted with epoxy.

Old Gibson EBO pickups are selling big money so it likely worth while to have a real one fixed. Shouldn't be too expensive either. I would fix it.