1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB3 bridge string extender, is this item (or similar) available?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass V, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the tubular piece attached at the very tail is the 'extender' in question, and was sent from one bassist years ago to another to cover the common need of keeping the end windings off the saddle, so it's a viable piece, but can anybody ID it? or, who knows how this functioned?

upload_2018-1-3_11-29-1.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Similar would be a small diameter nut or two that you slide over and down each string to put more of the string on the trailing end behind the saddle. Not as pretty as what you have there.

Bass V likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Bass V likes this.
  4. Someone sold those on eBay. I don’t think they do anymore. Not too difficult to make one with a drill press and the bar stock of your choice, steel, aluminum, stainless.

As far as how it functions, it’s just moving the setting anchor point back a little so the twisted part of the string or the silk is not on the bridge saddles.

What @sissy kathy posted is an extension nut to raise guitar strings for slide playing. Even if you wanted to adapt it, I’m pretty sure it’s not wide enough to cover the whole bridge.

Bass V likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    as kat alludes maybe the cylinder pic'd is just a tube to push the load back, but I was hoping it would be recognizable from the limited angle shot if these were a manufactured item, it's mentioned tho that it also helped get a downward pitch on the string end which is doubly appealing, any takes on how they did that?

6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you look at post three, picture the top facing forward under the bridge, that will put the rounded tubular part behind the string slots and the flat ledge caught under the overhang for the slots. if you drill from the right side (as pictured) of the hollow up into the curve that will force the string to be as low as possible when put on, as the ball end of the string will be caught in the hollow with the flat caught under the back edge of the bridge. so the ball is now lowered as much as possible. you nay be able to increase that drop by filing the string slots lower, the slots don't go all the way to the plate now to give the bridge some extra strength, that may be unnecessary with that nut spacer in place.

Bass V likes this.
  7. Bass V likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That is substantially larger than what the op pictured, BUT it is the correct length, isn't cast zinc like the items I posted, and won't rust either. All in all, the best solution I've seen. Looks like it'll even help with the break angle.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think the guy filed it much like you say, and there may be enuf lip to secure it with string pressure but no telling what a different bridge might propose, I want to improve on the 3 pointer but similar issues plague more than this one bridge. at least I've got a better concept now of what's going on.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a mod bar... knowing that would have saved an hour, but thanx, I actually prefer kat's riser idea since I've had one waiting forever and now I know why :) I dig the ebay pic showing the rear and angle.

11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the inventor says;
    Hello Ebay!
    My name is Evan Webb, proud owner of WEBBTECA MUSICAL INDUSTRIES. In the spring of 2006 I invented what is called a MOD-BAR, the end all problem solver for 2 and 3 point bass bridges. These bridges are commonly found on Gibson, Epiphone and even some imported basses like Aria. All of them share a design flaw that won’t let the saddles intonate correctly. This inherent flaw also causes the silk windings (near the end of the string) to rest over the metal saddles, killing the tone and sustain! Many players have wasted time trying to unwind or cut them off. Now you don’t have to…
    The Patent Pending (#60/767,359) MOD-BAR will fix this problem! More importantly, it will also add Volume, Sustain and Tone! Guaranteed! This is the best upgrade for your bass and with-out any permanent modification to your instrument. Just thread the strings through the MOD-BAR, tuck it under the bridge and tune up! Can all be done in 10min or less!
    There’s over 300 MOD-BAR’s out there in the world. Not a single one ever returned or broke. Thanks to its solid stainless steel construction, rust or tarnishing will never happen. All my customers have been stunned, amazed and shocked at what a simple piece of metal can do and for such a low cost! How about this customer review for example….

Evan,
    Well it's been about a week since I got the mod bar in the mail and I've had plenty of time to try it out. I was very skeptical, but I cannot deny that such a small chunk of metal adds tons of sustain. Notes last much longer and do not decay as quickly. Chords are even more dramatic; they do not lose their articulation and sustain for days. Also, a side benefit of the bar is that it adds extra weight to the body of the bass which helps to curb the heavy necks of Gibson basses. My Jack Casady bass had a slight neck dive that is gone with the added weight to the bridge. On a bass like a thunderbird (Which have very, very heavy necks) I would imagine this 3-point bridge mod would help that as well.....
    -Nick

That’s just one of many I have received over the past four years. If you have questions or comments please ask. It’s always great to talk to you musicians! I have different sized models and colors available so just ask!
    “Welcome to WEBBTECA!”
    -e.w.