Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eb3 or flying V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allengloody, Oct 18, 2005.

1. allengloody

allengloody

Aug 22, 2005
    Would you like help me please
    I would like to buy an epiphone bass guitar
    which is the better eb3 or flying v
    :bassist:

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Hey smart guy, in case you forgot, you just posted this question earlier today.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Thunderbird is all you need

4. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey i know it's totally your choice but I'd stay away from the flying V bass. I used to own one and got rid of it for several reasons. One the neck pick-up was way too close to the neck for me and the bridge layout wasnt that great. Slap bass on this particular instrument is pretty well out of the question. The volume wasnt too strong either and lacking in headroom. Unless you have an amazing amp backing you up you wont hear it that well in a full band setting, again depending on what music you are doing. The brass nut eventually broke of changing strings once, ahh it's just a cheaply built instrument. It was my second bass at the time nearly 5 years ago. I was like wow! flying V! completely blinded by the shape of the guitar and bought it out of impulse. A waste of time and money, then trying to get rid of the thing was nearly an excersise in futility. I'd recommend looking around abit more. Really examine the EB3 before deciding on that one either, because both instruments are built fairly cheaply.

5. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Pretty much after owning one of the Epiphone bass i would never buy another one again. I bought an explorer a long time ago it was a well put together bass easy to play but the hum buckers on it really didn’t give you a whole lotta tones. It was a very dark sounding bass with allot of thump but no color. I played a bunch of the other Epiphone model too including the eb-3 its very hard to find the flying v but the eb-3 is pretty much the same. Total let down from any actual Gibson bass.

6. a mate of mine has a 5-string epi...he says the same thing about his bass...very dark...not bright at all...

7. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I have never tried much in the way of actual Gibson basses yet but I just dont see any reason to....They make Les Paul guitars, a few notable others and should stick with that. When I think bass guitars, Gibson/Epiphone dont come to mind at all. I mean people have what they have instrument wise but I think on a whole people would prefer a ton of differnt basses than what Gibson does...They make the T-Bird, which I'm guessing has proven itself amongst some pro's but I just dont think of bass when I think Gibson.

8. Bain

Bain

Sep 7, 2005
    The Netherlands
  9. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    In all honesty I would recommend staying away from Gibson/Epiphone, Ibanez, Schecter, ESP,Yamaha, Peavey, and Dean. Most of these companies make run of the mill cheap stuff for under $900.00 and have stock to mediocre hardware. If you are admiant about going with any of these companies I recommend checking out what they got thats the top of the line for them. Ie. Peavey Cirrus, ibanez prestige line, top of the lin ESP LTD basses and so forth. Alot of the $900 and under basses are kind of sub par over all. Good luck with the search though.

10. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    Not every one has over 1000 bucks or more to spend on a bass. There are some decent basses that are fairly cheap.... granted epiphones are not one of them, they just have no punch at all!!! Very muddy and dark, and very stinkin heavy. If you wont a decent bass try out a yamaha or an ibanez there realy not that bad for the money.

11. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    True, not everyone does have $1000.00 to spend on an instrument. I just figure considering what those companies make and the quality they make them at, you might as well at least look into what they offer as their top of the line or at least as high as what you can afford from them. I'm definately not knocking anyone who owns bass from those companies or continues to buy from them...I own an Ibanez, Yamaha and Schecter myself.

12. Yamaha BB's are kick-butt basses! Peavey makes some sweet instruments, too...

I once played an Ibanez (couldn't tell you the model) that was better playing and better sounding than any other bass they had in the store at the time (some stingrays and Fenders were in there)...

Sorry, but blanket statements like you're trying to make hold about as much water as a colander.

13. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Thats fair enough...I'll get right down to it then and say i dont like those basses made at that price from those companies and thats all...In my veiw you'd be far better off saving up for something better, having had the experience with lesser quilty instruments made by them.

14. Lies. Blantant erroneous information (maybe mixed with some snobbishness). You can get a decent bass for under $900. You just have to know where to shop. Stay away from those crappy brands, and search for used basses, or inexpensive lesser-known brands, such as Godin or what have you. Remember that only you can decide the worth of a bass: does it suit you, sound like the sound in your head that you want, play effortlessly? I maintain firmly to the death that a bass is a bass is a bass and you can find an amazing instrument for less than $900. On the other hand, you are right in that some basses just plain suck. But you can't come over here and tell me that my $560 Godin is not an incredible bass. Spend $6000 on a bass guitar if you want, I'm comfortable right here.

15. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I dont think theres anything errornous about it at all.l It's my opinion on those instruments in that price range. If people are satisfied buying that stuff by all means...I'm not attacking anyones personal choice on what they chose to play. I made a recommendation based on the experiences I have had with the instruments in that price range....On the same hand though if I feel that instruments of that kind are not up to what i would prefer to be playing, I'm entitled to think that and voice it if i want...I never said anyone had to go out and spend $6000.00 to get something decent either...If whatever you have is good enough for you, or whatever your thinking of buying is good enough for you so be it. I'm going to get back to the whole main topic of the thread about the flying v versus the other bass, having owned the flying v bass, as I said earlier I would check out other basses.