Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EB3 pickup noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by linea, Mar 5, 2005.

1. linea

linea

Mar 3, 2005
    heya...

sorry for the multiple postings by the way- I also posted this in the mike watt forum...

I recently bought a '63 EB3, which is wonderful, but the neck pickup, while amazing-sounding, is so noisy as to be almost unusable on recordings. Normal single-coils on other guitars we have don't pick up nearly the level of hum, and earthing the pickup
    doesn't make any difference, nor does moving around the room change the intensity of the hum, though facing in certain specific directions does drastically reduce it.

Is this a 'feature' of EB3s in general that I'll have to live with or are there any solutions to this?

the sound is so good on the bass, and on that pickup in particular that I'm quite eager to sort it out.

thanks in advance,
    n

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Obviously check for poor connections and make sure it's the pup itself. If it's like the EB-0, the cover should come off the pup and you can have a look for corrosion, whatever.

I don't know when they stopped doing it but up to some point shellac is what windings were coated with - shellac crystallizes and cracks. Plus an old pup is an old pup - just like people - it ain't what it used to be.

Rick Turner would know. He's a TB'r and responded to either an email or PM of mine with a day or two. He'd probably get a buzz hearing about the old bass - so to speak.

Also Fralin or any of the guys that do rewinding will know - and that may be what you'll end up doing if you want to salvage the pup. If you get to them while it's still working, they'll have a better chance of replicating the tone - although it was probably handwound.